09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
| || |
Unusual water conditions
Hi all, I have several tanks and I try to do weekly 25% water changes on them all. Out of financial necessity I have to use tap water, and our tap water has ammonia in it. I've called the water district and they are not interested in the slightest in correcting the problem. My question is this: since nitrates are much less harmful to fish than ammonia is, would it benefit my tanks to let them go two weeks between water changes since each new batch of water adds ammonia?
Here are the stats to consider: there is .5-1.0ppm ammonia in the tap water (once it spiked up to 2.0ppm). When I do the weekly water changes, there are always less than 15ppm nitrate. I always use a dechlorinator that is supposed to bind ammonia but I am not convinced of its effectiveness. Theoretically, if I left the tanks alone for two weeks, the nitrates should still be low enough not to harm the fish and then they would not have to suffer from the ammonia as often.
I am working on obtaining free bottled water from my father-in-law's plant where he works, but it's taking a little while to get that put into effect and thus I am looking for a short-term solution. I also have plans to research water regulations and see if there is anything I can do to make the water district look into my complaint.
Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice!