Topless tanks???
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Topless tanks???

Topless tanks???

This is a discussion on Topless tanks??? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Either this is just for the video or these guys don't keep fish that can jump... which is it? Here is a link to ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dwarf Puffer
Dwarf Puffer
Bandit Cory
Bandit Cory
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Canadian Fish

Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Topless tanks???

Either this is just for the video or these guys don't keep fish that can jump... which is it?

Here is a link to the post with the videos with all the nice topless, and full to the brim, tanks.

They certainly make for a nice looking tank setup this way but is it at all practical?

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Those are works of art, created simply to be looked at and admired. They are not made for keeping fish longer than it takes to snap a photo.

They are high light, CO2 injected tanks where the plants take priority and the fish are mearly decorations.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't have a topless tank. There are fish who are not known for jumping that you could use without a hood or top. You would need to avoid Anabantids (Betta, Gourami, etc) or any fish that can take a breath of air (for example Cory's) because it can shock them to breath in cold, dry air. With a lid/canopy the air above the tank is kept warm and humid.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
I went to a topless tank joint one time. I thought it was degrading to the tanks. Exploiting a vulnerable segment of aquariums.

Seriously though, it must take a lot of top ups, I would assume the water evaporates faster with no lid.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Fish For This Useful Post:
Timjwilson (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
I went to a topless tank joint one time. I thought it was degrading to the tanks. Exploiting a vulnerable segment of aquariums.

Seriously though, it must take a lot of top ups, I would assume the water evaporates faster with no lid.

Haha...


Yes, the water does evaporate faster
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
 
I don't have any lids on my tank.. ?? Gas exchaange..don't have to worry about water on the lids. Or build up in them.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I would be concerned with all that evaporation getting into the walls and ceiling--much like a bathroom for which most now have exhaust fans to control the moisture. Considering how much water I see condensed on the tank cover glass every morning my fish room would be dripping water from the walls and ceiling.

There is also the issue of dust and debris getting into the water. But perhaps most, fish do jump. At least mine do. I have lost more than enough fish overnight if I happen to leave a cover glass open about 2 inches after feeding without noticing it, that I wouldn't want to empty my tank like this.

Geo's point on certain species is important too; a covered tank is necessary for those, unless the room is kept at the same temperature as the tank all the time.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
 
Granberry's Avatar
 
Two of my tanks (the 29 and 15) are topless except for a light which stands on the rim. I like it better because I can look down into the tanks and also with the Mr. Aqua tanks that I prefer, they just look prettier. That being said, I have to add water several times a week because they get noisy (the water splashing from the filter). I have had 2 fish jump out, a male guppy who died and a female Betta who was dry and yucky but who actually survived. Even fish who aren't known to jump will jump if they're chasing food, being chased, etc.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
Two of my tanks (the 29 and 15) are topless except for a light which stands on the rim. ....
I looked at your 29, that's quite a load of fish! How long has that tank been running at that capacity and stayed so clean?

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
 
Granberry's Avatar
 
Thanks! It has 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 female guppies, 4 glass catfish, 2 Diamond Tetras (the others died from a faulty heater that burned them), and 2 Kuhli loaches. There are also a fair number of juvenile guppies in there too.

I have had this tank set up right at a year. We moved during that time, and I actually took most of the water out to about 2 inches, left the fish in there, and drove them strapped to a trailer in 117-degree weather (broke all the Oklahoma records that day; our street lights were literally melting) and only lost 1 neon.

I think the plants help keep it clean, but that being said, I have to change the water regularly because the plants don't ever do great in my tanks (I'm not an expert on nutrients, etc.) and they lose leaves.

EDITED TO ADD: I just looked at the picture, and it's an old one back when I had the neons in there (they're in my 55 now) and my dwarf gourami was still alive. I guess I should update my photo! Here's a link to the album of my 29 on a different page. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...abitants-5017/

Last edited by Granberry; 12-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: additional information
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would be concerned with all that evaporation getting into the walls and ceiling--much like a bathroom for which most now have exhaust fans to control the moisture. Considering how much water I see condensed on the tank cover glass every morning my fish room would be dripping water from the walls and ceiling.

There is also the issue of dust and debris getting into the water. But perhaps most, fish do jump. At least mine do. I have lost more than enough fish overnight if I happen to leave a cover glass open about 2 inches after feeding without noticing it, that I wouldn't want to empty my tank like this.

Geo's point on certain species is important too; a covered tank is necessary for those, unless the room is kept at the same temperature as the tank all the time.

Byron.
I'd be concerned about evap also, like you stated, if I had the tank in a bathroom. But a big room, no, your not going to see probelms.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.