Time to stock? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Time to stock?

Time to stock?

This is a discussion on Time to stock? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Let's attack that one from the other angle: What is your goal to have in this tank at the end - What region? What ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Three Line Cory
Three Line Cory
Scissortail Rasbora
Scissortail Rasbora
Reply
Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Let's attack that one from the other angle:

What is your goal to have in this tank at the end - What region? What shorta fish?

If you're starting hyper active Danio now then you're settling yourself going fwd - So be sure that's what you want
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
LMAO Holly...I just seen you new signature....and at the very end "And a Husband Harry" That just gave me some giggles here
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
 
Mean Harri's Avatar
 
Tap water ammonia test is reading about the same as the tank ammonia test. So that's what I was seeing most likely in the tank water test. The ammonia reading from the water change. But I do have nitrates in the tank. Something good is happening in there.
I want to python some of that loose plant material in the tank tomorrow. And get a Hydor Koralia nano pump to move some water to the left side of the tank.
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
LMAO Holly...I just seen you new signature....and at the very end "And a Husband Harry" That just gave me some giggles here
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
 
Mean Harri's Avatar
 
Angel, I thought Danios because they are hardy. I'm leaning towards Tetras but I'm still on the fence a little. I don't think I want barbs but maybe. meh
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Harri View Post
Tap water ammonia test is reading about the same as the tank ammonia test. So that's what I was seeing most likely in the tank water test. The ammonia reading from the water change. But I do have nitrates in the tank. Something good is happening in there.
I want to python some of that loose plant material in the tank tomorrow. And get a Hydor Koralia nano pump to move some water to the left side of the tank.
You may want to check the Nitrate reading in the tap as well. Our tap has a small trace. Both my tanks showed Nitrates right off the bat even the one that took a while to cycle and maxed the ammonia and Nitrites out. It seemed like my Nitrates did not get higher than what was showing out of the tap until my 14 gallon tank was actually doing something......nitrites went up and ammonia was going down. This is what it should do though, but just wanted you to make sure that if the nitrates you are seeing is from the cycle process or from the tap. It could even be a little bit of both if there is a trace of nitrates in your tap.

I am pooped. I think I need to go to bed or at least lay in bed and read something or watch something.

Looking forward to seeing your finished project!
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
 
Mean Harri's Avatar
 
Alright,well, my tap water has nitrates too. The same amount as in the tank :( which is 20-30 ppm
Start adding ammonia I guess to get this cycling going? I don't want to be messing around tinkering. I want to get it going. Live bacteria in a bottle maybe?

Edit: Just read an article that suggest starting with some algae eating snails, shrimp and fish. Maybe I'll get some snails to stay ahead of the algae issue. And there is plant debris in which they can feed.

Last edited by Mean Harri; 02-13-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Harri View Post
Alright,well, my tap water has nitrates too. The same amount as in the tank :( which is 20-30 ppm
Start adding ammonia I guess to get this cycling going? I don't want to be messing around tinkering. I want to get it going. Live bacteria in a bottle maybe?

Edit: Just read an article that suggest starting with some algae eating snails, shrimp and fish. Maybe I'll get some snails to stay ahead of the algae issue. And there is plant debris in which they can feed.
Would be careful about what snails I placed in planted tank. Those that eat decaying plant matter will make no distinction between dead or live plant material. Would prolly stick with shrimp.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Was this my tank; I'd figure the water matter out first with a good conditioner.
Then Danio-Tetra is not a good mix; you'd be mixing hyper active fish with super calm peaceful fish. So meanwhile take your time cruise around LFS and see & debate what you'd really wanna have in this tank.
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
 
Mean Harri's Avatar
 
Yes ma'am.
I am contemplating the nitrate level in the tap water now. It's on my mind and I just got up a bit ago.
It's always something. I read that Prime cond., whci I have, detoxifies it. That's a good thing.
But I want to try to stay ahead of the bad.
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To stock, or not to stock... La Reina Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 01-27-2010 08:22 PM
Help me stock a 30g Hex! Charger1969 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 08-21-2008 08:01 PM
when can i re-stock? miagrrl Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 09-25-2007 10:02 PM
Is it ok to stock up? killjoy391 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 08-09-2007 10:54 PM
Long time fish lover first time forum poster Dk Introduce Yourself 7 02-13-2007 07:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.