Is there a type of plant......
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Is there a type of plant......

Is there a type of plant......

This is a discussion on Is there a type of plant...... within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Is there a type of plant that I could attach somehow to pvc pipe? I want to make a long tunnell that winds and ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Bristlenose Pleco
Bristlenose Pleco
Cochu
Cochu
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Is there a type of plant......
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
 
Is there a type of plant......

Is there a type of plant that I could attach somehow to pvc pipe? I want to make a long tunnell that winds and runs throughout the tank but, I'd like it to be hidden under some green natural live plant/moss.

Please let mek now if this is possible, how to do it and, if anyone has personal experience doing so what type of plant ect they'd recommend.

Thanks,
Kat

ooo..the tank is a 30 gallon growout tank..which will soon be a 55 grow out tank.

I took a brief video and it shows a tiny peice of pvc pipe that's already in there..I'd like to make a full tunnel.

kattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
 
Hmm...attaching plants to a pvc pipe section could get tricky, unless you're willing to drill some holes into it to create an anchor space to attach said plants, but that'd kinda defeat the purpose of a tunnel :P

If anything, I would use anubis plants. They don't need to be buried, their root/rhizome is easy enough to worth with via thread or fishing line.
excal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
 
java moss, java fern or anubias could be attached with cotton. Could be tricky to attach as the pipe is so round, slippy and has no good anchor points
sik80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree, plants with a rhizome such as Java Fern and anubias could be tied on the top with black thread or fishingline, and their true roots will naturally grow over the PVC and into the substrate.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
 
interesting....ill try that:)

There is no moss or anything that can grow around the pipe?or some type of grass like plant.
kattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattty View Post
interesting....ill try that:)

There is no moss or anything that can grow around the pipe?or some type of grass like plant.
Plants rooted in the substrate wi.l grow next to the PVC. But assuming you mean actually grow on it, no; it is too smooth with no opportunity for roots to attach.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
 
Well you can sand the PVC with course sandpaper and then cut into it heavily with a knife, sand again with some more paper but not enough to remove the gouges from the PVC, jsut enough to remove the sharp edges. Rinse off the PVC dust, should resemble a white artificial log kinda look. Should offer some anchoring points to help the plants stick better.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
Well you can sand the PVC with course sandpaper and then cut into it heavily with a knife, sand again with some more paper but not enough to remove the gouges from the PVC, jsut enough to remove the sharp edges. Rinse off the PVC dust, should resemble a white artificial log kinda look. Should offer some anchoring points to help the plants stick better.

wow..creative!lol
kattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
I would go to wal-mart, and get a plastic mesh screen that's used for embroidery and knitting.. It's made of plastic.

You can sandwich moss between the screen and the PVC (google 'java moss walls', and make it the same way, and just wrap it around the pipe)

Here's a link- Just wrap it around the pipe.

After the moss grows out well, you can even add some java fern or anubias, and it in turn will root onto the moss and mesh.

They don't call me MacGyver for nothing. :P
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
I would go to wal-mart, and get a plastic mesh screen that's used for embroidery and knitting.. It's made of plastic.

You can sandwich moss between the screen and the PVC (google 'java moss walls', and make it the same way, and just wrap it around the pipe)

Here's a link- Just wrap it around the pipe.

After the moss grows out well, you can even add some java fern or anubias, and it in turn will root onto the moss and mesh.

They don't call me MacGyver for nothing. :P
wow..brilliant.
Thank you very much:)
kattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help: any ideas type of plant proz03 Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 09-03-2010 05:40 PM
What type of fish should I get for this type acquarium... mellie901 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 05-13-2009 03:55 PM
what type of plant is this? candicelee Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 04-11-2009 03:22 PM
ATTN Plant Xperts.....Need plant help (newbie ?) bigk_54 Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 09-09-2008 08:13 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.