I need some help, and need to know how concerned I should be.
After repeatedly dealing with moderate ammonia spikes over the last year I finally wised up and tested my tap water. Right out of the tap I have .5 ppm of ammonia. I use a combination of prime and stress coat as my water conditioners. I also use a Seachem ammonia monitor which test for the more harmful levels of ammonia and after every water change I see an increase for a few days to .05 ppm on the ammonia monitor. The fish always seem fine and not affected by the few days of ammonia increase.
Along with the Seachem monitor I use an API total ammonia test kit.
Its a 55 gallon tank so unless I spend a fortune every week on water im not sure what to do to remove ammonia from the tap water.
Looking for some advice on what to do about the tap water????????
Its a 55 gallon running two Aqua Clear 70's, no live plants, and a mix of platty's and guppies totaling around 12 adult fish. I reduce feedings to only 1 small portion per day for a few days following water changes.
Other water parameters: temp 78, nitrate always tests 5-15, nitrite always 0, KH 80, PH 6.8-7.4, GH75.
Thanks for any advice.