tank smells bad
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » tank smells bad

tank smells bad

This is a discussion on tank smells bad within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> ok my 55gal tank with 3 mollys,3 neaon tertas,4 baby guppys and my 5 inch oreo/tiger butterkoffie cichlid.the problem is it smells bad like ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Burmese Loach
Burmese Loach
Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
 
92smokeaccord's Avatar
 
tank smells bad

ok my 55gal tank with 3 mollys,3 neaon tertas,4 baby guppys and my 5 inch oreo/tiger butterkoffie cichlid.the problem is it smells bad like bad pond water. parameters are near perfect.ph 7.4,nitrate,nitrite are zero and i have about 20 ppm of ammonia.i have 2 types of plants in with it but dont remember what they are.there is sand for gravel and a few fake decor.the tank is crystal clear water wize and dont see anything on the glass llike alge.water changes are 20 percent every 3 days.any ideas as to why this tank stinks..
92smokeaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
 
fishysrfun's Avatar
 
I dont know why it smells bad but im sure someone will be able to help you
consider adding more neons they do best in groups of 5 or more
fishysrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
 
KPainter's Avatar
 
Are any of your plants dying? Check the sand for black areas. If the plants are dying the roots will decay and cause some nasty smelling mess down in the sand.
KPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
 
92smokeaccord's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPainter View Post
Are any of your plants dying? Check the sand for black areas. If the plants are dying the roots will decay and cause some nasty smelling mess down in the sand.
sorry they are floating ones.
92smokeaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
 
Perhaps some more aggressive tank/filter maintenance is in order. Gravel siphon?
Cut back on feeding?
You can use activated carbon to adsorb impurities that cause odors.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
parameters are near perfect.ph 7.4,nitrate,nitrite are zero and i have about 20 ppm of ammonia.
I hope you mean 20ppm Nitrate....

Decaying plant matter could easily be the cause, even if it is a small piece it can smell bad quickly. Check in the filter to make sure nothing has been sucked into that and is decaying in there, also check to see if there are no dead fish hidden somewhere (may sound stupid but has been known to happen).
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
 
92smokeaccord's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
I hope you mean 20ppm Nitrate....

Decaying plant matter could easily be the cause, even if it is a small piece it can smell bad quickly. Check in the filter to make sure nothing has been sucked into that and is decaying in there, also check to see if there are no dead fish hidden somewhere (may sound stupid but has been known to happen).
actually yes i get them mixed up. but i do have a small trace of amonia as of this morning.and its 25 about nitrate.hummm theres no brown or black anything on the plants.maybe another filter is in need.
92smokeaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 28 gallon tank smells... kiernan Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 08-24-2011 07:28 PM
my tank smells funny? redlessi Freshwater and Tropical Fish 14 09-01-2009 10:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.