tank size
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » tank size

tank size

This is a discussion on tank size within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> What is the smallest tank that a Pleco should be in? I have one, and when I got him, I did not know how ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Upside Down Catfish
Upside Down Catfish
Yoyo Loach
Yoyo Loach
Reply
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
 
tank size

What is the smallest tank that a Pleco should be in? I have one, and when I got him, I did not know how big they can get, so I am going to have to get a bigger tank or find him a home in a bigger tank.
Thanks for any advice!

rainbow
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
It all depends, what sort of pleco is it you've got?
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
 
Pleco

I believe that it is a common Pleco, I bought him from Wal-mart, and I really do like him a lot, he was so tiny when I got him, I did not know that he would get very big!
He is in a 10 gallon tank now, and he is about 3 times as big as he was when I got him. He was extra small when I got him.
He seems to be happy and eats good and acts normal but I know from reading on the forums about Plecos that they need a lot of room.
Thanks

rainbow
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
Well given that they can reach up to 18 inches, I would suggest a 55 gallon at the very minimum.
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
 
Gump's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyoup
Well given that they can reach up to 18 inches, I would suggest a 55 gallon at the very minimum.
Hum a 12" wide tank for a 18" fish.... Id say at least a 180 for a full size common. But since they rarely get full size in tanks a 75-100 should be fine.
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
 
Nonsense

As a general rule of thumb, pleco's will grow as big as the tank they are in. Pleco's (depending on what type you buy) will grow rather slowly compared with other fish. You can easily keep a pleco in a 10 gallon. If it gets too big, take him back to the pet store and they will gladly find a home for it. A common pleco (Hypostomus Pleco) will probably not grow more than a few inches a year in a 10. You can read more here...

http://www.gotgills.net/showthread.php?tid=18
blazer1852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
 
Re: Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer1852
As a general rule of thumb, pleco's will grow as big as the tank they are in. Pleco's (depending on what type you buy) will grow rather slowly compared with other fish. You can easily keep a pleco in a 10 gallon. If it gets too big, take him back to the pet store and they will gladly find a home for it. A common pleco (Hypostomus Pleco) will probably not grow more than a few inches a year in a 10. You can read more here...

http://www.gotgills.net/showthread.php?tid=18
My dad had two commons in a 55 not too long ago. He bought them at around 2" in size. In less than 8 months later, one was 11" long, and one was 9" long. They grew very fast, but I guess it all depends on many different factors (food supply, hiding spots, etc).
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
 
blazer1852 if you believe that myth, I have a fishing resort in the Sahara Desert I want to sell you.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
 
Flashygrrl's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy
I have a fishing resort in the Sahara Desert I want to sell you.
Do you get the boat too?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
 
Yeh, but it leaks. I'll throw in a bucket with the deal, too
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank size help FishKid91 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 11-14-2008 10:30 PM
what size tank is this? ollecram Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 4 06-15-2008 09:29 PM
What size tank is best? Shawn Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 11-01-2006 06:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.