06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by Maxillius
I also suggest to use some prime to detoxify ammonia since ammonia in water will be toxic to the bacteria eating it , rendering it harmless will help the bacteria feed and reproduce rapidly.
This is only the case when the ammonia is sky high - over 4 ppm, and even then it's not totally accurate. At high concentrations, a different species of bacteria begin to grow.
The ammonia in the water is NOT toxic to the bacteria - it's the bacteria's food.... Whether it's ammonia or the "harmless" ammonium, it makes no difference.