Tank not cycling? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Tank not cycling?

My 20g tank has up for 7 1/2 weeks. I have 3 platys, 2 small anubias, and just added a 1'' apple snail. At 4 weeks, I added 2 platys and got Ich. I returned the 2 platys, treated with Quick cure for 6 days and raised temp to 90 for 14 days. After this 4 anubias died. I replaced them with 2 more and they have yellow edges on some of the leaves. I moved them into more light and they might be doing a little better. I do 50% water changes every other day. I vacuum gravel every other time. Ammonia-.25ppm, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, ph-7.5, gh-11, kh-3. Tested with api liquid and tetra laborett for the gh and kh. At this point, shouldnt I be reading 0 ammonia? The tap water I use has 0 ammonia. Thanks. P.S. I feed NLS once a day lightly, and every few days i feed peas, spinach or zucchini. That stuff ends up everywhere and hard to clean so I added the snail yesterday.

Last edited by marshallsea; 06-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.
marshallsea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 12:19 PM
from what you have written your problem is too much left over food it will affect your water parameters .it's better to cut down the feeding feed slowly and make sure it all gets eaten.for 3 platys a few pellets will do.clean out any left over pellets or food.
make sure the water is clear.do not always disturb the gravel if you have rooted plants they need time to grow their roots underneath.when you disturb the gravel you are also releasing toxic gasses and dirt this is unnecessary if you have plants.just suck up and debris on the top layer of the gravel.get some malaysian trumpet snails and the will be part of the cuc that will eat up some debris and aerate your gravel as well.soon you will only see nitrate and the ammonia and nitrite should read 0.you might want to get a root tab for the anubias.

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kitten_penang For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (06-16-2012)
post #3 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
from what you have written your problem is too much left over food it will affect your water parameters .it's better to cut down the feeding feed slowly and make sure it all gets eaten.for 3 platys a few pellets will do.clean out any left over pellets or food.
make sure the water is clear.do not always disturb the gravel if you have rooted plants they need time to grow their roots underneath.when you disturb the gravel you are also releasing toxic gasses and dirt this is unnecessary if you have plants.just suck up and debris on the top layer of the gravel.get some malaysian trumpet snails and the will be part of the cuc that will eat up some debris and aerate your gravel as well.soon you will only see nitrate and the ammonia and nitrite should read 0.you might want to get a root tab for the anubias.
Will do as you say. thank you, Kitten. Nice tanks!

Last edited by marshallsea; 06-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
marshallsea is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM
your welcome =)

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
I don't know about your cycle issue, but I wouldn't waste money on root tabs for an Anubias. Since they feed mostly from the water column, and since Anubias shouldn't be buried, a good liquid fertilizer would be a better option.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 06-16-2012, 10:48 PM
New Member
 
Hi marshallsea! You are proubably over feeding your fish like kitten pinang said. You may want to add more than one snail, buy declorinator and artificial bacteria from your LFS ( local fish s.tore ), and don't do as many water changes because you are taking bacteria out of your tank!! Water changes should be done once a week to once every other week. If you follow all of that you will get rid of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and get the water cycle started.
ZTK412 is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM
i find having a root tab under the piece of drift wood my anubias is situated at helps with long term nutrition.as you stick it in and it dissolves slowly releasing a constant supply of nutrients.if you want to dose the water column use seachem flourish but keep in mind too much nutrients in the water column will give you a bacterial bloom or algae issues.mostly we get fast absorbing plants,8 hours of grow light and we balance how much liquid fert we add right after we do a wc.dosing is mostly done once per week and how much fert depends on how heavily stocked your tank is with plants

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTK412 View Post
Hi marshallsea! You are proubably over feeding your fish like kitten pinang said. You may want to add more than one snail, buy declorinator and artificial bacteria from your LFS ( local fish s.tore ), and don't do as many water changes because you are taking bacteria out of your tank!! Water changes should be done once a week to once every other week. If you follow all of that you will get rid of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and get the water cycle started.
I agree with you and Kitten in that i had been overfeeding. Im dropping back to once every other day, lightly. As I understand the bacteria, it grows on hard surfaces like gravel, decorations, glass and filter media, but not so much in the water itself. I used to think it was in the water but was corrected by the big wigs on this forum. But when theres ammonia present its better for the health of the fish to change the water. I plan on getting another snail, as you suggested, but i want to make sure this one lives first. I only have 2 small anubias, I have killed 4 anubias so far. At some point I'll get this right. Thank You.
marshallsea is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 AM
New Member
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I agree with you and Kitten in that i had been overfeeding. Im dropping back to once every other day, lightly. As I understand the bacteria, it grows on hard surfaces like gravel, decorations, glass and filter media, but not so much in the water itself. I used to think it was in the water but was corrected by the big wigs on this forum. But when theres ammonia present its better for the health of the fish to change the water. I plan on getting another snail, as you suggested, but i want to make sure this one lives first. I only have 2 small anubias, I have killed 4 anubias so far. At some point I'll get this right. Thank You.
Ok good luck with your tank!!

My Tanks and Fish -

72 Gallon -

2 Dominoe Damsels
2 Talibut's Damsels
3 True Percula Clownfish
1 Bulb Anemone
6 Snails
1 Hermit Crab
3 Crabs
1 Zoanthid Coral Colony

29 Gallon -

3 Candy Cane Tetras
3 Longfin Serpea Tetra
5 Glofish
2 Blue Moon Platys
2 Tiger Barbs
2 Pictus Catfish
1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
2 Olive Snails

Breeding Set-up -

3 - 10 Gallon Tanks
1 - 5.5 Gallon Tank
(cycling)
ZTK412 is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTK412 View Post
Hi marshallsea! You are proubably over feeding your fish like kitten pinang said. You may want to add more than one snail, buy declorinator and artificial bacteria from your LFS ( local fish s.tore ), and don't do as many water changes because you are taking bacteria out of your tank!! Water changes should be done once a week to once every other week. If you follow all of that you will get rid of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and get the water cycle started.
Water changes do not remove bacteria - the bacteria does not live in the water.....

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jaysee For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (06-17-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new 55g tank - Still Cycling Chinxican1978 Freshwater Journals 5 06-12-2012 07:28 PM
cycling new tank? Little-Fizz Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 11-27-2007 05:01 PM
cycling new tank englandbloke Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 02-13-2007 06:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome