12-05-2009, 02:50 AM
| || |
In two to three weeks time, the filter ,if allowed to run in your tank, will have developed a bacterial colony capable of allowing one or two SMALL fish depending on the size of the tank. Personally, I would get my sister nothing smaller than 20 gal. This would make it loads easier to maintain a stable enviornment and also give her more options with regards to fish. IT is important that the filter be moved from your tank to hers quickly so that the bacterial colony does not begin to die off which will happen if the material in the filter isn't kept wet in aquarium water (not tapwater). Tapwater contains possibly chlorine and or,chloramines both of which will kill off substantial portion of the bacteria(good kind) You may know all this already but it may be woth mentioning to your sister. Always clean this material whether it be sponges,pads, or cartridges by swishing it around in old aquarium water that you remove each week during 20 to 25 percent water changes. Hope some of this helps.
P.S. I would also move the one or two SMALL fish to her aquarium within a few hours of placing the filter from your tank to hers to keep the bacteria active . Other wise a pinch of fish food each day should keep the bacteria alive.
Last edited by 1077; 12-05-2009 at 02:53 AM..