Tank is Cycled Baby (31 days) - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 55 Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
It is possible to allow a tank to mature or cycle naturally while NOT hurting the fish if fish are used. The problem is ,, most folks don't have the patience to do it properly or they begin with too large of fish, too many fish, and they overfeed the fish. Fishless cycling or maturing of a tank eliminates the chance of any of the afore mentioned from happening.Water changes during cycling with fish are a direct result of as stated,,, too many fish, too large of fish, and overfeeding of fish.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 55 Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
New Member
 
FordMan's Avatar
 
dude i never said i didn't do water changes i just said id didn't do them every day give me a break

"A man must make a beast of himself to rid the pain of being a man" -Dr Johnson
FordMan is offline  
post #23 of 55 Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
I only did 2-3 water changes during cycling, once when my ammonia spiked, and once when my nitrites did.

Fordman and I seem to have the same personality, if I haven't already mentioned that.

55 Gallon

-10x Zebra Danio
-3x Angelfish
-5x Velvet Red Swordtail
-3x Albino Cory Cat
-3x Clown Loach
-3x Black Mollie
-1x Red Tailed Shark
-1x General Pleco
-1x Snail

10 Gallon

Quarantine

37 Gallon (Wanted)

Not Sure

150 Gallon (Wanted)

-5x Bala Shark
-2x Neon Blue Goarami
-5x Clown Loach
-1x Black Knife Ghost
Sj45 is offline  
post #24 of 55 Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Kim
Member
 
Woah, the "who cares if you loose a danio" doesn't work for me either. The whole reason I have fish is because I like them and care about them. Just because a fish isn't "valuable" in terms of monetary value doesn't mean it's life is less imporatant than an expensive fish. And don't just write me off as a sap - fighting (yes, real physical fighting) is one of my favorite things to do. I just don't understand this line of reasoning.

Now, I'm not going to tell you that you are a bad person because you didn't wait 6 months to add angels. As long as the proper precautions are taken I think that's fine. Honestly, I've either seeded or fishless cycled all my aquariums, and none of my fish have EVER been exposed to ammonia at all. I just think that this is the responsible thing to do. If you do choose to cycle with fish, I think it is your responsibility to take the necessary measures to make sure ammonia and nitrite do not exceed .25 ppm. This way permanent harm to the fish can be avoided, and I am fine with it if done correctly.

20 gallon long: 3 adult Neolamprologus similis + about 11 fry of various ages; low light planted tank
20 gallon long:2 freshwater dwarf puffers (Puff Puff and Poofer); medium-light planted tank
10 gallon: 1 male betta named Wormy; low light planted tank
10 gallon: 1 male betta named Dante; low light planted tank
2, 5.5 gallon tanks that are currently empty (I see more fish on the horizon )

Last edited by Kim; 02-21-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Kim is offline  
post #25 of 55 Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Woah, the "who cares if you loose a danio" doesn't work for me either. The whole reason I have fish is because I like them and care about them. Just because a fish isn't "valuable" in terms of monetary value doesn't mean it's life is less imporatant than an expensive fish. And don't just write me off as a sap - fighting (yes, real physical fighting) is one of my favorite things to do. I just don't understand this line of reasoning.

Now, I'm not going to tell you that you are a bad person because you didn't wait 6 months to add angels. As long as the proper precautions are taken I think that's fine. Honestly, I've either seeded or fishless cycled all my aquariums, and none of my fish have EVER been exposed to ammonia at all. I just think that this is the responsible thing to do. If you do choose to cycle with fish, I think it is your responsibility to take the necessary measures to make sure ammonia and nitrite do not exceed .25 ppm. This way permanent harm to the fish can be avoided, and I am fine with it if done correctly.
I understand your reasoning, and agree w/ your opinion on the Danio.

55 Gallon

-10x Zebra Danio
-3x Angelfish
-5x Velvet Red Swordtail
-3x Albino Cory Cat
-3x Clown Loach
-3x Black Mollie
-1x Red Tailed Shark
-1x General Pleco
-1x Snail

10 Gallon

Quarantine

37 Gallon (Wanted)

Not Sure

150 Gallon (Wanted)

-5x Bala Shark
-2x Neon Blue Goarami
-5x Clown Loach
-1x Black Knife Ghost
Sj45 is offline  
post #26 of 55 Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
New Member
 
You guys are scaring me. I just set up my 37g after a 3 year break. My last run was with ciclids. Convicts, jewels, green terrors, and a red devil, till the red devil matured. Then it got ugly.
I used some dry bacteria to start the filter, ran that for a week, added some silver dollars and a corey. Today I returned the silvers dollars and bought 4 medium angelfish.
I haven't done a water change yet, plan on changing out 5g tomorrow. I am using an old aquaclear filter that is more than sufficient for the size of the tank with ammo chips and carbon. I am also running an under gravel filter with a power head. Everybody looks healthy so far. Very active and hungry. I'm gonna cut down on the feeding and check for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. Any suggestions? other than removing the angels?
Spoon is offline  
post #27 of 55 Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
New Member
 
FordMan's Avatar
 
if you really and truely cared about fish you wouldn't keep them at all no matter how you slice it it's cruel to take a fish from a million gallon river and put it in any sized tank i mean i'm not out there to hurt fish i mean i bend over backwards to keep mine healthy with everything from live food to keeping a big plant for each fish but i try too keep fish keeping stress low and not sweating the small stuff is deffinately part of that

"A man must make a beast of himself to rid the pain of being a man" -Dr Johnson

Last edited by FordMan; 02-21-2009 at 09:12 PM.
FordMan is offline  
post #28 of 55 Old 02-22-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Sj45's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
if you really and truely cared about fish you wouldn't keep them at all no matter how you slice it it's cruel to take a fish from a million gallon river and put it in any sized tank i mean i'm not out there to hurt fish i mean i bend over backwards to keep mine healthy with everything from live food to keeping a big plant for each fish but i try too keep fish keeping stress low and not sweating the small stuff is deffinately part of that
Haven't thought about it that way but I def. agree.

55 Gallon

-10x Zebra Danio
-3x Angelfish
-5x Velvet Red Swordtail
-3x Albino Cory Cat
-3x Clown Loach
-3x Black Mollie
-1x Red Tailed Shark
-1x General Pleco
-1x Snail

10 Gallon

Quarantine

37 Gallon (Wanted)

Not Sure

150 Gallon (Wanted)

-5x Bala Shark
-2x Neon Blue Goarami
-5x Clown Loach
-1x Black Knife Ghost
Sj45 is offline  
post #29 of 55 Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
You can add guppies right after the cycling, it doesn't phase them!

~veganchick~

All things bright an beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord, God made them all.



*Vegans Have more Fun*

http://www.petshopanimals.webs.com
veganchick is offline  
post #30 of 55 Old 02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
New Member
 
FordMan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sj45 View Post
Haven't thought about it that way but I def. agree.
Yeah i mean we keep fish because we enjoy it not because they do lol i mean we try to keep them happy but if your not enjoying it than nobody is dude or fish haha

"A man must make a beast of himself to rid the pain of being a man" -Dr Johnson
FordMan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my tank almost cycled? dwayne wade Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 03-16-2010 02:12 PM
tank readings after 4 5 days bndrinkin Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 17 04-07-2008 01:23 PM
feeding your fish every 3 days , 2 days ,every day /??????/ black&whiteclowns Saltwater Fish 3 06-13-2007 09:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome