I'm planning to switch from gravel to pool filter sand in the next few weeks. My tank is an established 25 gal with lots of smallish guppies, and no live plants . On other threads with this topic, I noticed that most people usually recommend removing the fish to another aquarium while making the switch. But to be honest I'm not sure that I could ever catch all the guppies with a net. They are really fast! And the largest container I have right now is a 2 gal bucket. So I think I'm going to try to (VERY carefully) switch to sand with the fish still in the tank.
My current game plan - suggestions appreciated:
1) Remove ~25% of water to a couple of buckets
2) Remove decorations from right half of tank to the buckets of aquarium water
3) Remove gravel from right half of tank
4) Slowly lower sand to right half of tank
5) Allow water to clear for an hour or so
6) Move fake plants to the right half of tank so the fish have a place to hide
7) Wait a few minutes for the fish to move to the fake plants at the other side of the tank
8) Add a handful of the remaining gravel to a breeder net and place in the right side of the aquarium to seed the sand with bacteria
9) Remove the rest of the gravel
10) Add sand slowly
11) Allow water to clear
12) Replace aquarium water and fake plants
Does that sound like something that would work? Thanks in advance!