So finally after two hours of back breaking work I finished swapping the substrate. Haven't put the fish in yet. Waiting for the water to clear up.
This is the neglected tank. Procrastinated the cleaning for a long time.
Emptying the tank. Yes! That is a clutch of pond snail eggs on the glass. It is surprising how just a single snail can start laying eggs which hatch!
This is my plant stock. These guys started drying withing minutes!
Filled up the tank with about 1.5 inch of Sakrete play sand. I had to wash some more sand. This time I did it in small batches. Much faster, much cleaner!
I have a fry separating container which I used to pour water in so as to not disturb the sand.
Ready for plantation.
Planted and filled up! I put an air stone, a couple of ornaments from previous setup and a small sponge filter rated for 5 gal in the tank. Hopefully the filter will help in clearing up the water. Looks like it is going to take a while clearing up.
Keeping my fish in the small 6 gal hex for a couple of days. Hopefully the bacteria will start their job quickly in the 10 g. The hex has my old filter, heater, couple of PVC pipe caves and a bunch of gravel hopefully has enough bacteria so that it does not go into cycling!
One off the track suggestion! Clean up spot algae the moment you see it! Once it proliferates, may you have the strength of a WWE wrestler to clean it off.