Substrate Change Question - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Freshcatch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAfish35 View Post
I heard that Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great at it. I'm planning on get some of those, along with some Assassin Snails.

Luke
You will have no MTS if you put Assassin Snails in the tank with them. They will eat other snail species. You could put the Assassin Snails in and feed the MTS to them. They do breed easily.

Never too far from crazy


Freshcatch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MMAfish35's Avatar
 
O I know they eat other snails, thats why I want them. I plan on putting a good amount of MTS in, and having the Assassins in to keep them from taking over the tank. Assassins will also eat blood worms and other meaty foods, so they wont just prey on the MTS.
Posted via Mobile Device
MMAfish35 is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I don't remember, but I don't think MTS breed that easily. I don't remember tho.


ETA: Yes they do breed easily xD I've never gotten any assassin snails. I have loaches tho ;)
Breed like rabbit's
Assassin snail's are slower at reproducing.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
MMAfish35 (02-13-2013)
post #24 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAfish35 View Post
OK, Ok you guys convinced me, I'll just go with all sand lol. Now as for what type of sand, I am undecided. I hear play sand works well, and is inert, but I also hear that it can compact roots. Obviously you have been successful with play sand, so the question is, what do you do to ventilate the sand? I heard that Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great at it. I'm planning on get some of those, along with some Assassin Snails. Also, I heard that pool sand works great too. I like the color better than the color of play sand. Again, I hear it compacts the roots like play sand. Thanks for all the info in advance.

Luke
Compacting sand should not be a problem. First, you don't want the substrate too deep; with sand in the larger tanks an overall depth of 2-3 inches when the sand is in the tank fairly level across the entire surface is sufficient. I have just under 2 inches in my 70g, and 3 inches in my 115g. Second, plant roots release oxygen, lots of it; this keeps the area around the individual plants well oxygenated, and bacteria live there that use the oxygen. Third, burrowing snails (Malaysian Livebearing) contribute to this.

I like play sand because it is inexpensive and natural in appearance; it is identical to the sand in many Amazon streams for example, and you can't get much more natural than that. The mix of colours (black/gray/tan/white) also makes detritus on the substrate less noticeable. That was another issue with my black Flourite, every speck of stuff stood out; but I never see this with mixed substrates.

Pool filter sand is used by many, but you have to avoid the white, and then make sure it is inert and not too rough. I've never bothered with it, but I have read that it can be rather sharp. As can some other types like paver sand, etc. Play Sand is meant for kids to play in.

On the matter of snails reproducing, of course they will. They are there to help you, by getting into places you can't and eating all organic matter, breaking it down so the bacteria can more easily and readily handle it. Keeping them under control is a good idea, sometimes. Depends upon the tank.

Byron.
MMAfish35 likes this.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
MMAfish35 (02-13-2013)
post #25 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
If you want MTS, don't get Assassin Snails. Even though the MTS breed like crazy (live bearing so the fish don't get the eggs) they are mostly nocturnal so you might never see them anyway. Trying to control anything with another addition is not a great idea. See how the MTS make out. I put ten in my tank and have only ever seen two at any given time. I also have tiger snails and pond snails. Tigers don't reproduce in freshwater and the fish always get most of the pond snail eggs. Tigers clean up well, MTS dig up the sand and the pond, well, they just came with some plants.

I don't know what is the largest factor but I rarely see anything on my sand and my vacuuming doesn't pick up much. SOMEBODY seems to be eating almost everything.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM For This Useful Post:
MMAfish35 (02-13-2013)
post #26 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't know what is the largest factor but I rarely see anything on my sand and my vacuuming doesn't pick up much. SOMEBODY seems to be eating almost everything.

Jeff.
Same here! This week I'm not really seeing any fish poo. I usually vacuum once a week to remove the majority of the fish poos in the front of the tank, but I'm simply not seeing any and it's the day before vacuuming!

I mean, I see the shrimp and fish pooing, just not seeing a whole lotta poos on the floor o.O

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MMAfish35's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Compacting sand should not be a problem. First, you don't want the substrate too deep; with sand in the larger tanks an overall depth of 2-3 inches when the sand is in the tank fairly level across the entire surface is sufficient. I have just under 2 inches in my 70g, and 3 inches in my 115g. Second, plant roots release oxygen, lots of it; this keeps the area around the individual plants well oxygenated, and bacteria live there that use the oxygen. Third, burrowing snails (Malaysian Livebearing) contribute to this.

I like play sand because it is inexpensive and natural in appearance; it is identical to the sand in many Amazon streams for example, and you can't get much more natural than that. The mix of colours (black/gray/tan/white) also makes detritus on the substrate less noticeable. That was another issue with my black Flourite, every speck of stuff stood out; but I never see this with mixed substrates.

Pool filter sand is used by many, but you have to avoid the white, and then make sure it is inert and not too rough. I've never bothered with it, but I have read that it can be rather sharp. As can some other types like paver sand, etc. Play Sand is meant for kids to play in.

On the matter of snails reproducing, of course they will. They are there to help you, by getting into places you can't and eating all organic matter, breaking it down so the bacteria can more easily and readily handle it. Keeping them under control is a good idea, sometimes. Depends upon the tank.

Byron.
Play sand sounds like the way to go. It's cheap too. I'll put in some MTS to help out too. Maybe I'll let them take off a bit, and if need be I'll get some Assassins. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when I get it all changed over.
MMAfish35 is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAfish35 View Post
Play sand sounds like the way to go. It's cheap too. I'll put in some MTS to help out too. Maybe I'll let them take off a bit, and if need be I'll get some Assassins. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when I get it all changed over.

I would add some peat mass also. to prevent hardness increases over time.

FWIW I do nothing for snails.

What happens is I do get a snail bloom but a year later the tank is down to only a few. I guess the population is self limiting.

my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Playsand is inert. I've had playsand in my betta tank for 3 years and I've never seen an increase in water hardness.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 02-14-2013 at 09:50 AM.
FishyFishy89 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
67g substrate change, before and after. FOR AUNT KYMMIE! iamgray Freshwater Journals 23 01-24-2011 11:47 PM
How do I change to a sand substrate? Freddy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 01-08-2010 09:04 AM
Should I and how do I change the substrate? kjjb0204 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 09-09-2008 05:42 PM
Substrate Change gilfish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 01-30-2008 12:55 AM
Possible to Change the Substrate? bassque Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 01-23-2008 09:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome