Stocking help! (75g) - Page 5
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Stocking help! (75g)

Stocking help! (75g)

This is a discussion on Stocking help! (75g) within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by ytownxj Thanks for the word of caution about water changes, what level should I keep my nitrates below so that I ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
False Penguin Tetra
False Penguin Tetra
Dwarf Pencilfish
Dwarf Pencilfish
Reply
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #41
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownxj View Post
Thanks for the word of caution about water changes, what level should I keep my nitrates below so that I have a good reference for when I should be doing the water changes?

When should I add more fish? Everything seems pretty stable as with the exception of the rising nitrates.

Thanks!
I would not add more fish until you settle the nitrate issue and get is stable.

What fish will you add next?

What is your Nitrates at?

At a standard rule I have heard of people keeping Nitrates bellow 20ppm.

Check your tap water too just to have a good reference point.

I have high nitrate in my tap water so I get between 40-60ppm of Nitrate no matter what I do.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
 
Byron's Avatar
 
This tank has been running with fish for about two weeks; what is the number for nitrates? And presumably ammonia and nitrite are zero? Have you tested the tap water on its own for nitrates?

To your question about water changes, normally (=in established tanks) they should be every week, and about 30-50% of the tank. The volume can vary depending upon the fish load and live plants, but the more water changed the better. Using higher nitrates as the "test" for a water change is not safe; regular partial water changes will maintain the nitrates low provided everything is in balance.

In new tanks the nitrates will fluctuate more, and more frequent water changes won't hurt. I may have misunderstood you previously, as I was assuming the water changes were only aimed at the cloudiness, and as I mentioned then this is irrelevant.

I'll answer your other question on adding fish when I know the nitrate number, for the tank and the tap. Also, what sort of fish are you thinking of adding next?

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #43
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Using higher nitrates as the "test" for a water change is not safe; regular partial water changes will maintain the nitrates low provided everything is in balance.
One question Byron, what do you mean using higher nitrates?

Are you trying to say that regardless of the nitrate levels you should do a weekly water changes due to things like Phosphorus etc.?
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #44
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
One question Byron, what do you mean using higher nitrates?

Are you trying to say that regardless of the nitrate levels you should do a weekly water changes due to things like Phosphorus etc.?
Regular partial water changes are necessary no matter what; the benefits are enormous [I really must get that article finished]. There are several reasons for doing water changes, and no tests can indicate these. Nitrate is the one most often mentioned, and it is true that if nitrates that have been at say 10 ppm suddenly rise to 20ppm something may be wrong, but by then whatever it is has happened, and the effect on the fish has taken place. A water change then may relieve things, but the better course is to maintain consistently stable water conditions, rather than wait for trouble and then trying to fix it.

Prevention is preferable to cure.

Any tank with live fish, plants or not, will benefit from a regular weekly water change. The volume can depend upon the fish load, and if plants are present. I have always done 50% water changes weekly on all may tanks for 15+ years, and my nitrates are always zero to 5ppm depending upon the tank. Water stability is more certain with regular substantial water changes.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #45
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Regular partial water changes are necessary no matter what; the benefits are enormous [I really must get that article finished]. There are several reasons for doing water changes, and no tests can indicate these. Nitrate is the one most often mentioned, and it is true that if nitrates that have been at say 10 ppm suddenly rise to 20ppm something may be wrong, but by then whatever it is has happened, and the effect on the fish has taken place. A water change then may relieve things, but the better course is to maintain consistently stable water conditions, rather than wait for trouble and then trying to fix it.

Prevention is preferable to cure.

Any tank with live fish, plants or not, will benefit from a regular weekly water change. The volume can depend upon the fish load, and if plants are present. I have always done 50% water changes weekly on all may tanks for 15+ years, and my nitrates are always zero to 5ppm depending upon the tank. Water stability is more certain with regular substantial water changes.

Byron.
I would really like to read that article when you have finished it.*

I have noticed that there is a build up of protein on the surface that gets to be very thick if the water is not changed, especially in my tanks with a lower current.

Thanks Byron!
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #46
 
That's great information to know, as an answer to your question about my tap water, I checked it before and checked it two more times this morning for verification and there is no nitrates in the water according to my tests. I shook the bottle up good for two minutes or since I know this test can take some time to develop. My tank is presently (as of three hours ago) at 5ppm nitrates due to the recent water change.

My next question concerns the algae bloom. It has gotten much worst and seems to be leaching light from my plants that I actually want in the tank. Visibility is terrible now and you can barely see the back of the tank. How do you feel about UV Sterilizers and would you recommend one?
ytownxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownxj View Post
That's great information to know, as an answer to your question about my tap water, I checked it before and checked it two more times this morning for verification and there is no nitrates in the water according to my tests. I shook the bottle up good for two minutes or since I know this test can take some time to develop. My tank is presently (as of three hours ago) at 5ppm nitrates due to the recent water change.

My next question concerns the algae bloom. It has gotten much worst and seems to be leaching light from my plants that I actually want in the tank. Visibility is terrible now and you can barely see the back of the tank. How do you feel about UV Sterilizers and would you recommend one?
If you get readings of up to 20ppm of nitrate it should be fine.

How long are your lights on for. Reduce the time and clean the current algae.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #48
 
The algae is all water borne, how do I clean it except through water changes?
ytownxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
 
Oh and my lights are one for 12 hours a day. Too long?
ytownxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownxj View Post
Oh and my lights are one for 12 hours a day. Too long?
Yes!! Most people do between 6 and 8 hrs.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking! Bandy0390 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 47 03-18-2011 04:33 PM
Stocking help DanMarion Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 05-10-2010 03:00 PM
Stocking 10g Retrospekt Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 05-10-2010 06:04 AM
187 Stocking fishfreak2009 Saltwater Fish 1 03-07-2010 08:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.