Stocking advice for 26g
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Stocking advice for 26g

Stocking advice for 26g

This is a discussion on Stocking advice for 26g within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> My 26 gal Bow tank just finished cycling. For now the tank is unplanted. I keep it at 24C (75F), water is 7,6 pH ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dwarf Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Thick Lip Gourami
Thick Lip Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Stocking advice for 26g
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
 
Stocking advice for 26g

My 26 gal Bow tank just finished cycling. For now the tank is unplanted. I keep it at 24C (75F), water is 7,6 pH and very soft, about 2-3 dH.

Right now, I only have 7 red eye tetra in there. I was thinking of adding another semi-agressive fish, probably a few (5-7) Tiger Barb.

The real question is about the bottom feeders as I have very little knowledge about them. I was thinking about some Cory since they are easily available in my area, but I don't know if they will get nipped by the other fish, and how many I should keep. I also really like the Clown Loach, but as I understand it they will grow too big for my tank. I had bad experiences with pleco's, I find them too messy and they grow too big real fast. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by Boise1024; 03-22-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Boise1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
First, I would not have the Tiger Barb with what you now have. If you read the profile (click the shaded name) it explains why.

To the substrate fish, in that size tank a group (7-12) of corys would work well, one or more species with 3-5 of each species. Whiptail Catfish is a good choice for something different (with the corys, fine) either one or more. Just make sure it is the true Rineloricaria parva; some of the so-called whiptails like the Royal are a different and much larger fish. Click the name for our profile with photos.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
 
Thank you for the advice on the bottom feeders.

I tought the Tiger Barb would be ok, since the red eye are already fin-nippers and can probably stand their own in the tank. Writing this, I realise it may become quite an agressive tank...! In your opinion, what type of fish would go well with the Red Eye Tetra ?

Thanks
Boise1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise1024 View Post
Thank you for the advice on the bottom feeders.

I tought the Tiger Barb would be ok, since the red eye are already fin-nippers and can probably stand their own in the tank. Writing this, I realise it may become quite an agressive tank...! In your opinion, what type of fish would go well with the Red Eye Tetra ?

Thanks
I wouldn't think the Red Eye Tetra, assuming this is the species Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae as in the profile [I mention this because common names are only common to the person using them and I have seen other fish species called Red eye T], is a fin nipper, but it has been a long time since I had them. They are active, and this can sometimes result. But whatever, I would not put TB in this sized tank with any other fish, that is too much of a risk.

So, for tankmates, aside fro the substrate fish, I would look into perhaps the smaller danio; not meaning the Celestial Pearl but others like the Zebra Danio, Glowlight Danio (not to be confused with Glowlight Tetra), Pearl Danio which share the "active lifestyle" of the Red Eye. The Glowlight would be nice for the colour contrast to the silvery RET. Or some of the smallish tetra, several of which are in the profiles, if you want to stay in South America.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
 
Yes, the Red Eye are Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae. The ones I have are not that peaceful, they fight a lot for their place in the aquarium.

I've decided to go with some Serpae Tetra. I like the Danio idea too, but I think it might get crowded in there.

I went to the LFS, they have Sterbai Corydoras, I find them really cute. The guy at the LFS said that I should limit the number to 4 for my size tank. I don't know what to think, since you were advising more than double that number !
Boise1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise1024 View Post
Yes, the Red Eye are Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae. The ones I have are not that peaceful, they fight a lot for their place in the aquarium.

I've decided to go with some Serpae Tetra. I like the Danio idea too, but I think it might get crowded in there.

I went to the LFS, they have Sterbai Corydoras, I find them really cute. The guy at the LFS said that I should limit the number to 4 for my size tank. I don't know what to think, since you were advising more than double that number !
The Serpae Tetra have the same problem as Tiger Barb, so watch out. Check the profile.

On the cory, I would definitely not go under five. What is the surface area (length/width) of your 36g bowfront, roughly? I was assuming something like 30 inches length, in which case my original suggested cory numbers stands.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
 
Thanks with the warning on the Serpae, didn't realise they could be as bad as the TB. Anyway the wife really liked them, so I got 6 of them yesterday. As of now they are more peaceful than the Red Eye, and seems to stay at the bottom third of the thank while the red eyes prefer the top half.

It's a 26g bowfront, about 24 length x 13 width x 20 high
Boise1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise1024 View Post
Thanks with the warning on the Serpae, didn't realise they could be as bad as the TB. Anyway the wife really liked them, so I got 6 of them yesterday. As of now they are more peaceful than the Red Eye, and seems to stay at the bottom third of the thank while the red eyes prefer the top half.

It's a 26g bowfront, about 24 length x 13 width x 20 high
They are still stressed. They will settle in...
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
 
Haha, I guess you could say that. I'll keep an eye on them.

With the size tank I have (24 lenght), how many Cory would you keep ?
Boise1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise1024 View Post
Haha, I guess you could say that. I'll keep an eye on them.

With the size tank I have (24 lenght), how many Cory would you keep ?
Five or six. Five of the same species, or if six they could be all the same or two different with 3 of each species. This seems to work best.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking advice please :D GouramiJade Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 01-01-2012 09:29 PM
Stocking advice please lauramikks Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 10-25-2010 11:34 AM
stocking advice please :) dorabaker Freshwater and Tropical Fish 26 07-21-2010 08:10 AM
Stocking Advice on a 75 RevLemmon Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 06-24-2010 01:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.