Stocking a 30 Gallon Long
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Stocking a 30 Gallon Long

Stocking a 30 Gallon Long

This is a discussion on Stocking a 30 Gallon Long within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Dimensions: 36" L x 18" D x 12" High Wanted to double check my stocking plans with you guys and make sure what I ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Odessa Barb
Odessa Barb
Banded Gourami
Banded Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Stocking a 30 Gallon Long
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Stocking a 30 Gallon Long

Dimensions: 36" L x 18" D x 12" High

Wanted to double check my stocking plans with you guys and make sure what I wanted wasn't something horrifically bad :P

My tank isnt set up yet so I have time to figure out what I want (Setting it up tonight hopefully and starting the cycle!). Tank will be sparsely-moderately planted/decorated to give more swimming room.

My water is hard, around 8 pH

Stocking Idea:
5: Pictus Catfish
6: Green Tiger Barbs
Oodles of Ghost Shrimp (Yes, I know some will be chomped on)
Possibly my mystery snail though I dont know if the pictus will pick at him


Sounds good?

I really like the pictus and from what Ive found, they'll be ok in my tank. I know Tigers are nippy but pictus are active and my group of tigers should hopefully be big enough to curb aggression.

Aqadvisor also deemed it ok, but it also said a Jack Dempsey would be ok in this tank along with my pictus so I wanted to double check ;)


Im also open to ideas, I'd love having a specimen tank of a single larger fish if this wont work. Possibly an eel or something crazy like that, I like oddball tanks c:
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Have you read our profiles of the intended fish? Click the shaded names, Pictus Catfish, Tiger Barb. There are some issues.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Have you read our profiles of the intended fish? Click the shaded names, Pictus Catfish, Tiger Barb. There are some issues.
Thank you for answering ^^


Ah I see, it even specifically says not to put Pictus in with nippy fish like barbs ^^;

It also says that they like acidic water, though the fish at my LFS have been raised in harder water so would that be a problem or would the fish have adapted to the hard water since theyve been raised in it?

Also, would having just the pictus by themselves be ok in a 30 breeder? Even though its shorter than whats recommended, they would have the tank to themselves.

Or are Pictus just not something I can get?
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Thank you for answering ^^


Ah I see, it even specifically says not to put Pictus in with nippy fish like barbs ^^;

It also says that they like acidic water, though the fish at my LFS have been raised in harder water so would that be a problem or would the fish have adapted to the hard water since theyve been raised in it?

Also, would having just the pictus by themselves be ok in a 30 breeder? Even though its shorter than whats recommended, they would have the tank to themselves.

Or are Pictus just not something I can get?
I would not have Pictus in anything less than 4-feet, as they are better [= less stressed, thus healthier] in a small group and that takes space.

A group of 12-15 or so of the barb would fill the tank nicely, you could even mix the Green TB with the common TB, being the same species. Substrate fish that are smaller than the Pictus, and able to handle the GH, would be fine.

On the issue of adapting to different GH and pH, this depends partly on the species (not sure if you meant the Pictus or the barb) but there are limits. And one must never forget that "adapting" has a price, the fish will be working harder and thus more prone to issues than if they are kept in their preferred environment. My article on stress in the Freshwater Articles section details this more if you're interested.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would not have Pictus in anything less than 4-feet, as they are better [= less stressed, thus healthier] in a small group and that takes space.

A group of 12-15 or so of the barb would fill the tank nicely, you could even mix the Green TB with the common TB, being the same species. Substrate fish that are smaller than the Pictus, and able to handle the GH, would be fine.

On the issue of adapting to different GH and pH, this depends partly on the species (not sure if you meant the Pictus or the barb) but there are limits. And one must never forget that "adapting" has a price, the fish will be working harder and thus more prone to issues than if they are kept in their preferred environment. My article on stress in the Freshwater Articles section details this more if you're interested.

Byron.
Looks like I'll be holding off on the Pictus then until I get a bigger tank. I do like Tiger Barbs a lot, but I'm not sure I want those as my only schooling fish. Im still really fond of just having 1 or 2 larger fish.

So looks like more research for me, goldfish are always nice, maybe Ill have 2 of those in my tank c:
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking a 20 gallon long combray Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 08-10-2011 06:42 PM
Stocking 20G long mjbn Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 06-13-2011 11:02 PM
20 Gallon Long stocking list beat2020 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 05-26-2010 03:02 PM
Stocking 20g long Trish Freshwater and Tropical Fish 15 04-15-2008 08:53 PM
Stocking a 20 gallon long Rhykiru Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 10-27-2007 10:26 AM


Tags
30 gallon, pictus catfish, stocking help, tiger barb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.