Sponge Filters? - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Running a sponge filter (and/or airstone) will raise your pH by injecting O2 into the water and out-gassing CO2.
Hallyx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Running a sponge filter (and/or airstone) will raise your pH by injecting O2 into the water and out-gassing CO2.
Water has a normal equilibrium concentration level of CO2 that will determine how much it can contain based on various factors, one of which is the concentration in the ambient air. Normally excess CO2 will be exchanged through the surface contact of the water with air and the reverse is also true. Agitating the surface or introducing air through a bubbler will speed the process of bringing the CO2 to it's respective equilibrium level but will not depress it further nor increase it past this equilibrium.

The same holds for O2.

This should serve to stabilize the pH and reduce the tendency for it to swing over the course of the day as it might in a more still water aquarium.

If the air being bubbled has a higher or lower concentration than the ambient air (injecting CO2 for example) then it will change the concentration of dissolved gases and can affect the pH accordingly.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
What air pumps do you guys use? Mine was broken, then fixed, and now it's broken again, so I'm thinking of just getting a new one altogether.
jentralala is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
What air pumps do you guys use? Mine was broken, then fixed, and now it's broken again, so I'm thinking of just getting a new one altogether.
The cheapest model I can find! LoL

Boredomb is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Member
 
Freshcatch's Avatar
 
The most quiet I can find!

Never too far from crazy


Freshcatch is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
If only those two answers could combine xD

Got the air pump fixed again, hoping it stays that way but I'd like to get a backup to have on-hand.
jentralala is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I have two Elite air pumps. The smaller I bought back in the 1990's, and it is very quiet. [I haven't been running it continually since then, just so no one things that.] A year or so ago, having set up another tank with a sponge, I decided to get a larger size to more safely handle the three/four tanks, and got another Elite. It works fine, but after a few months it is making a fair amount of noise. In the fish room I really didn't care at first, but then it got to me so I put the smaller Elite back on, and it is silent.

I think Elite are reliable pumps, but obviously not always quiet.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Member
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Noise is in the ear of the beholder; however, I have an Elite 800 that is very quite and a Millionaire pump that is also not obnoxious. Actually, I haven't purchased what I would consider a noisy air pump in quite a while. I started in the hobby when air pumps drove most if not all filters, so maybe I've become immune. Their steady hum has never really bothered me. I did have some that could scamper across a tabletop and had more of a growl than a hum.

Fishmonger
fish monger is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Noise is in the ear of the beholder; however, I have an Elite 800 that is very quite and a Millionaire pump that is also not obnoxious. Actually, I haven't purchased what I would consider a noisy air pump in quite a while. I started in the hobby when air pumps drove most if not all filters, so maybe I've become immune. Their steady hum has never really bothered me. I did have some that could scamper across a tabletop and had more of a growl than a hum.
Haha I have some that hums but they are not loud and I have gotten use to them. Now if they get pumped, pinned or knocked over they growl. That's when I have to fix them. I have 3 different pumps ranging for a cheapo from walmart to a Tetra Whisper that all sound the same to me. So I just go for cheap now. As long as it works I don't care anymore. LoL

Boredomb is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Member
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Haha I have some that hums but they are not loud and I have gotten use to them. Now if they get pumped, pinned or knocked over they growl. That's when I have to fix them. I have 3 different pumps ranging for a cheapo from walmart to a Tetra Whisper that all sound the same to me. So I just go for cheap now. As long as it works I don't care anymore. LoL
I go for the cheap side also. To me, air pumps are one of the most reasonably priced of aquarium accessories. Like anything else, you can spend as much as you want though. I tend to think along the lines of what's good enough.

Fishmonger
fish monger is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sponge filters: Short sponge, or short lift tube? Robanada DIY Aquarium 2 08-31-2011 11:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome