Someone school me on sponge filters please - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Someone school me on sponge filters please

Someone school me on sponge filters please

This is a discussion on Someone school me on sponge filters please within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I agree with DKRST on the "bleeder" line with one addition; use an old (or new if you don't have an old one) airstone ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Emperor Tetra
Emperor Tetra
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Someone school me on sponge filters please
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I agree with DKRST on the "bleeder" line with one addition; use an old (or new if you don't have an old one) airstone on the "bleeder" line. It creates some obstruction so all the air won't take this easy route. I have found adjusting those valves can be finicky and this makes it easier to spread the airflow between the two (sponge filter and bleeder airstone). The airstone doesn't go in the tank, just leave it on the shelf/floor beside the valve.

Photo is what the 10g looked like back then. Lots of snails too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10g Aug 17-10.jpg (75.0 KB, 32 views)
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #22
 
SomeDudeAtHome's Avatar
 
Cool thanks guys I will run to my LFS tomorrow and grab some airstones. Just to make sure I understand correctly though I will put an airstone outside the fish tank connected to the valve on the airline and possibly put an airstone where the tube is on the sponge filter?

I'm going to bring up another problem I've run into in this thread as well.

I changed my substrate to Fluorite while installing the new filter figured I'd get it all done in one shot. The tank was pretty cloud but I've read that's normal. I have the sponge filter and the HOB going for now to help clear the water and give bacteria a little time to grow on the sponge. When the water cleared I noticed some white stuff that looked like spider web on pretty much everything. I'll attach some pictures.





Byron, you might remember this from a thread I started a while ago about a fungus. This is the same exact thing as what happened last time. Just as a refresher I added a bubble decoration that was a gift the stuff showed up removed the blubber and it disappeared. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the air pump or airline tubing (airpump is brand new and different but the tubing is the same as last time). Could one of these be the cause? Seeing how it developed in about 1-2 hours I don't think it's a fungus after all.

Either way I plan on doing a water change tomorrow morning and will buy those airstones in the morning too.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
 
SomeDudeAtHome's Avatar
 
BTW, very nice tank Byron What kind of fish do you have in there?
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #24
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Fish in a tank as small as 5g will be affected by water movement, which is why I asked previously about species intended. Corydoras habrosus do not appreciate water flow. This is a small and quite delicate little fish, that likes to just swim casually around the tank, browsing over every surface including the leaves of very fine plants--I often see mine resting on the leaf of a pygmy chain sword, which is a very small plant but still able to support this little fish--and being buffeted around by water current is stressful. A single sponge filter is the best option, or no filter. I had this fish along with some Corydoras pygmaeus in a 10g tank with no filter for several months, they were very happy. Lots of plants. A submersible heater laid horizontally about 2 inches above the substrate along the back of the tank would provide convection current water movement throughout a 5g tank sufficient for this setup.

Byron.
While I respect and appreciate your opinion,, I too have kept these little fish but more importantly,,I have used the pitiful Aquatech filter mentioned(5/15) and it barely provides a trickle if intake is not cleaned religiously(weekly).There is little chance that these fish would "buffeted"about the tank by the flow from this filter in my opinion.
The cory's metioned along with pygmy cory's truly don't need a lot of movement but the filter in question provides not very much.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
While I respect and appreciate your opinion,, I too have kept these little fish but more importantly,,I have used the pitiful Aquatech filter mentioned(5/15) and it barely provides a trickle if intake is not cleaned religiously(weekly).There is little chance that these fish would "buffeted"about the tank by the flow from this filter in my opinion.
The cory's metioned along with pygmy cory's truly don't need a lot of movement but the filter in question provides not very much.
No problem Lee. I don't know that filter, so my post was merely stressing that one doesn't want strong water currents. Any filter that works with a flow that is scarcely noticeable will obviously be fine. I use sponge because they are simple and effective.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAtHome View Post
BTW, very nice tank Byron What kind of fish do you have in there?
At the time that photo was taken, it was an "experiment" tank with sand substrate (my first use of sand), no filter, no light. The fish were an assortment of 11 Boraras brigittae, 7 Corydoras pygmaeus, a tiny dwarf puffer (arrived in the bag with the corys), two freshwater shrimp (arrived with the Boraras), and a host of Malaysian Livebearing snails and pond snails. The latter began to dissappear into the puffer as it grew of course.

After my Twig catfish spawned, I moved the fish out and used this tank as a nursery, opening the blinds to encourage algae which the Farlowella fry need as their first food. After they were able to be moved to other tanks, I tore this 10g down, it was a real mess of algae (deliberately).
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Cool thanks guys I will run to my LFS tomorrow and grab some airstones. Just to make sure I understand correctly though I will put an airstone outside the fish tank connected to the valve on the airline and possibly put an airstone where the tube is on the sponge filter?
Yes on the "bleeder" airstone outside the tank. I wouldn't bother with an airstone inside, just the filter. You can control the flow with the valve.

Quote:
I'm going to bring up another problem I've run into in this thread as well.

I changed my substrate to Fluorite while installing the new filter figured I'd get it all done in one shot. The tank was pretty cloud but I've read that's normal. I have the sponge filter and the HOB going for now to help clear the water and give bacteria a little time to grow on the sponge. When the water cleared I noticed some white stuff that looked like spider web on pretty much everything. I'll attach some pictures

Byron, you might remember this from a thread I started a while ago about a fungus. This is the same exact thing as what happened last time. Just as a refresher I added a bubble decoration that was a gift the stuff showed up removed the blubber and it disappeared. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the air pump or airline tubing (airpump is brand new and different but the tubing is the same as last time). Could one of these be the cause? Seeing how it developed in about 1-2 hours I don't think it's a fungus after all.
I vaguely remember that fungus issue. Follow whatever worked then. As for the cloudiness, I found that my Flourite tank took weeks to clear. It is not harmful, so just let it do its thing. Bacteria play into this, and water changes beyond the weekly one will only make it worse.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #28
 
SomeDudeAtHome's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
At the time that photo was taken, it was an "experiment" tank with sand substrate (my first use of sand), no filter, no light. The fish were an assortment of 11 Boraras brigittae, 7 Corydoras pygmaeus, a tiny dwarf puffer (arrived in the bag with the corys), two freshwater shrimp (arrived with the Boraras), and a host of Malaysian Livebearing snails and pond snails. The latter began to dissappear into the puffer as it grew of course.

After my Twig catfish spawned, I moved the fish out and used this tank as a nursery, opening the blinds to encourage algae which the Farlowella fry need as their first food. After they were able to be moved to other tanks, I tore this 10g down, it was a real mess of algae (deliberately).
haha that's really funny about all the "freebies". Did the dwarf puffer do ok in that tank because I've also heard they should be in a species only tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post

I vaguely remember that fungus issue. Follow whatever worked then. As for the cloudiness, I found that my Flourite tank took weeks to clear. It is not harmful, so just let it do its thing. Bacteria play into this, and water changes beyond the weekly one will only make it worse.

Byron.
I'm thinking it wasn't a fungus either time. This morning it all seems to be gone and after talking with someone at the LFS they said it could have been a bio film from the fluorite.


Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me get everything up and running smoothly it was much appreciated. The sponge filter is all figured out and not rocking the tank anymore and the fish seem to be happier so far.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Did the Dwarf Puffer do ok in that tank because I've also heard they should be in a species only tank?
It was doing fine in there, and left the other fish alone; course it was small, only about half an inch. As I said, I didn't deliberately acquire it, and would probably have taken it back if it had not been so troublesome to do so [the store owner brought the fish out, sort of semi-delivery, so I didn't spot it until I accclimated the fish to the tank]. But it was fine; really went through the snails though, cleaned the tank, and there were hundreds. When I had to move the puffer due to the fry, it was double the size, and I didn't know where to put it so I chose a heavily-planted tank. He didn't last long, not sure why.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #30
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
While I respect and appreciate your opinion,, I too have kept these little fish but more importantly,,I have used the pitiful Aquatech filter mentioned(5/15) and it barely provides a trickle if intake is not cleaned religiously(weekly).There is little chance that these fish would "buffeted"about the tank by the flow from this filter in my opinion.
The cory's metioned along with pygmy cory's truly don't need a lot of movement but the filter in question provides not very much.
Not to cloud the issue, but I have an older Aquatech 5/15 that has a lower flow and would be fine in a 5g (had it in the 5g hospital tank I setup). On the other hand, I also have a newer AQ 5/15 with nearly twice the flow and needed to baffle on the 10g tank. Maybe just old vs. new, or newer designs are more powerful - dunno.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sponge filters: Short sponge, or short lift tube? Robanada DIY Aquarium 2 08-31-2011 11:35 AM
sponge filters Inga Freshwater and Tropical Fish 12 07-06-2010 11:06 AM
sponge filters Sadie Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 02-05-2007 07:02 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.