Snails are they bad or good to have? - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Curt's Avatar
 
I still haven not been able to locate the little bugger since I found him.... As long as things dont get out of hand I mind him being in there. However i have read so many thigns about snails getting out of control...


Is it possible this is the only snail in my tank?

I had dreams about it last night that I woke up and I had snails all over the tank and in my bedroom.....

20 Gallon bedroom tank
5 Guppy
3 Oto Cat's
2 Cherry Barb
1 Bosemani Rainbowfish.

10 Gallon Bedroom
4 Glofish
4 Neon tetra
1 Black neon
Curt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
New Member
 
If I were you I would get rid of him. Before you know it you'll have a snail infestation. If you are looking to put some snails in your aquarium I would recommended nerite snails. There are several kinds to choose from and they can only breed in saltwater so they are perfect for freshwater aquariums.

Do fish get thirsty?
Blabomb is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Curt's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabomb View Post
If I were you I would get rid of him. Before you know it you'll have a snail infestation. If you are looking to put some snails in your aquarium I would recommended nerite snails. There are several kinds to choose from and they can only breed in saltwater so they are perfect for freshwater aquariums.

Im not particularly interested in snails. but if all of you really think this is going to get out of control then I need to find a way to locate him...

20 Gallon bedroom tank
5 Guppy
3 Oto Cat's
2 Cherry Barb
1 Bosemani Rainbowfish.

10 Gallon Bedroom
4 Glofish
4 Neon tetra
1 Black neon
Curt is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
I still haven not been able to locate the little bugger since I found him.... As long as things dont get out of hand I mind him being in there. However i have read so many thigns about snails getting out of control...


Is it possible this is the only snail in my tank?

I had dreams about it last night that I woke up and I had snails all over the tank and in my bedroom.....
You were just worried and your subconscious keeps telling you that.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Im not particularly interested in snails. but if all of you really think this is going to get out of control then I need to find a way to locate him...
I cannot understand the fear over snails that so many write about. I have dozens of these (bladder snails) in my tanks, and hundreds of Malaysian livebearing snails. I consider them a gift from nature, and I am glad they are there.

Snails eat stuff that nothing else, including your filter, can handle, and prevent biological issues. They also eat algae, though minimally. These types do not eat plants. They are an important part of a natural ecosystem.

Be thankful; your aquarium is the better for having them.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Curt (02-23-2011)
post #16 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
New Member
 
Knifegill's Avatar
 
Only if something eats them on a regular basis to keep them in check. In tanks with no predation they alone will soon overload the biological filtration. They are fully capable of deriving nutrition from fish waste so cutting back food will only make a dent, not eliminate them. I've seen bladder snails overpopulate some of my tanks before. Thankfully I have an army of raphael cats and some puffer fish to help me out.
Knifegill is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
New Member
 
CoffeeMan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
Only if something eats them on a regular basis to keep them in check. In tanks with no predation they alone will soon overload the biological filtration. They are fully capable of deriving nutrition from fish waste so cutting back food will only make a dent, not eliminate them. I've seen bladder snails overpopulate some of my tanks before. Thankfully I have an army of raphael cats and some puffer fish to help me out.
While it may be impossible to ever rid a tank of an overpopulation of snails. it's very easy to keep a population under control. When you notice you have more snails than you want, use a piece of lettuce or celery to remove a large quantity of them.

-CoffeeMan-
29 Gallon Tank
7 Zebra Danios (1 is actually a red glofish)
7 Serpae Tetras
7 Emerald Green Corydoras

20 Gallon Tank
2 Albino African Clawed Frogs
Anywhere between 0 and 8 feeder guppies

15 Gallon Tank
Lots of Trumpet Snails.
1 Assassin Snail
2 Female Guppies
1 Male Guppies

Pics coming soon in tank profiles.
CoffeeMan is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Curt's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I cannot understand the fear over snails that so many write about. I have dozens of these (bladder snails) in my tanks, and hundreds of Malaysian livebearing snails. I consider them a gift from nature, and I am glad they are there.

Snails eat stuff that nothing else, including your filter, can handle, and prevent biological issues. They also eat algae, though minimally. These types do not eat plants. They are an important part of a natural ecosystem.

Be thankful; your aquarium is the better for having them.

Byron.


Thanks byron!

I love your posts! So informative! you need to start charging us!

I had visions of wall to wall covered in snails!!

20 Gallon bedroom tank
5 Guppy
3 Oto Cat's
2 Cherry Barb
1 Bosemani Rainbowfish.

10 Gallon Bedroom
4 Glofish
4 Neon tetra
1 Black neon
Curt is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Curt's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan View Post
While it may be impossible to ever rid a tank of an overpopulation of snails. it's very easy to keep a population under control. When you notice you have more snails than you want, use a piece of lettuce or celery to remove a large quantity of them.

Awesome thanks for the tip!



I never kept live plants in my previous 55g I had never had to deal with snails before. I started reading online and the things people say I was starting to think my tank would be crawling with 1000's of them in a matter of days.

20 Gallon bedroom tank
5 Guppy
3 Oto Cat's
2 Cherry Barb
1 Bosemani Rainbowfish.

10 Gallon Bedroom
4 Glofish
4 Neon tetra
1 Black neon
Curt is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weekend feeders good for snails? SinCrisis Invertebrates 6 12-22-2009 11:31 AM
Snails...is this bad or good? Robnjo Coral and Reef Creatures 1 05-13-2007 10:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome