08-28-2013, 09:18 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by marshallsea
The old filter , no matter how small, had the needed bacteria that consumes ammonia. But now you just have to stay on top of the ammonia. I have no experience with safe start but for sure it can't hurt. I believe its effectiveness depends on how fresh it is.P.S. The reduction in feeding means less ammonia in your tank. I've heard that a hungry fish is a healthy fish.
A very common thought. Add some chemical/treatement and it cant hurt.
I respectifully disagree. Chemicals, treatements, and what have do have very serious and dangerous side effects. For instance, common dechlorinators and ammonia locks also lock up oxygen while still testing positive for ammonia. So one can continue dosing and eventually the fish suffocate.
This is one reason I recommend so strongly plants to consume ammonia and condition the tank. With plants you actually reduce carbon dioxide and increase oxygen as opposed to the ammonia lock actions.
Still it all just my .02