Silk plants for cover? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RackinRocky's Avatar
 
Silk plants for cover?

I have several live plants in my 55 gal. right now, and just ordered a 20 piece slate rock kit to make another cave for my Bolivian Ram. (I already have several and he's in a community tank). I also bought a dark background, all in an effort to make him feel more secure. Well, I wanted to get a bushy fake plant to put beside the cave, in his favorite area of the tank. One who's leaves will cascade down, more or less, instead of standing straight up. Better cover, I guess is what I'm trying to say. For a forest type feeling for him. I found an 8" silk Hygrophlia by Penn plax. My question is, do the leaves on these silk plants bend? This way, I can make the leaves cascade over so he can go under them to sleep, hide or whatever. I was thinking of buying two to make an extra bushy plant. Thanks!

10 gallon- 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 female betta.

20 gallonH - 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk Cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami. , one male betta, 2 nerite snails.

55 gallon - 3 Turquoise Rainbows, 1 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Australian Rainbow, 4 Gold Dust mollies, 1 L. Dorsigera, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 1 Honey Gourami, 3 Cherry barb, 1 Koi Angelfish, 4 female betta.
RackinRocky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RackinRocky View Post
I have several live plants in my 55 gal. right now, and just ordered a 20 piece slate rock kit to make another cave for my Bolivian Ram. (I already have several and he's in a community tank). I also bought a dark background, all in an effort to make him feel more secure. Well, I wanted to get a bushy fake plant to put beside the cave, in his favorite area of the tank. One who's leaves will cascade down, more or less, instead of standing straight up. Better cover, I guess is what I'm trying to say. For a forest type feeling for him. I found an 8" silk Hygrophlia by Penn plax. My question is, do the leaves on these silk plants bend? This way, I can make the leaves cascade over so he can go under them to sleep, hide or whatever. I was thinking of buying two to make an extra bushy plant. Thanks!
You could use aquarium safe silicone glue and place the leaves in anyway you'd like. I would make sure there is enough space for him to feel comfortable getting in/out, and not trapped. I have a bolivian ram and though I have lots of plants, I only have one big structure of malaysian drift wood, that he could hide in/behind. I never see him hiding. I really didn't know that needed that? Does yours hide a lot?

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RackinRocky's Avatar
 
Thanks, Gwen. No, mine doesn't hide. In fact, he's always out in front with all the others. But I keep reading they need lots of cover in the form of caves and especially plants. So I want to make that available for him. I am always worrying about my fish not having an environment that is natural for them.

10 gallon- 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 female betta.

20 gallonH - 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk Cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami. , one male betta, 2 nerite snails.

55 gallon - 3 Turquoise Rainbows, 1 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Australian Rainbow, 4 Gold Dust mollies, 1 L. Dorsigera, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 1 Honey Gourami, 3 Cherry barb, 1 Koi Angelfish, 4 female betta.
RackinRocky is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RackinRocky View Post
Thanks, Gwen. No, mine doesn't hide. In fact, he's always out in front with all the others. But I keep reading they need lots of cover in the form of caves and especially plants. So I want to make that available for him. I am always worrying about my fish not having an environment that is natural for them.
That's great of you. I do the same thing :) I'm glad I'm not the only one, and apparently, there are lots of good caring people who do their best to provide the "best" environment for their fish, that have, in most cases, been through so much to get to our tanks.

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RackinRocky's Avatar
 
So true, Gwen. Its amazing how tough fish are, with what they have to endure before they even get to the fish store. I think Bolivians Rams are the greatest! I think this is one of the most personable, human-like fish I've ever owned, with my female bettas coming very close! They have both won my heart!

10 gallon- 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 female betta.

20 gallonH - 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk Cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami. , one male betta, 2 nerite snails.

55 gallon - 3 Turquoise Rainbows, 1 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Australian Rainbow, 4 Gold Dust mollies, 1 L. Dorsigera, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 1 Honey Gourami, 3 Cherry barb, 1 Koi Angelfish, 4 female betta.
RackinRocky is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Member
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
What about sewing the plants with the right colour of thread so it doesn't show up?
iamgray is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RackinRocky's Avatar
 
I found some fake begonias, soaked them for two days, and no color bled off, so I put them in the tank. Just the right height for the fish to go under, and they even look real! Thanks for the suggestions. Right now though, my fish are sick and dying on me daily. My heart is breaking.

10 gallon- 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 female betta.

20 gallonH - 1 Peacock Gudgeon, 2 Skunk Cories, 1 Sparkling Gourami. , one male betta, 2 nerite snails.

55 gallon - 3 Turquoise Rainbows, 1 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Australian Rainbow, 4 Gold Dust mollies, 1 L. Dorsigera, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 1 Honey Gourami, 3 Cherry barb, 1 Koi Angelfish, 4 female betta.
RackinRocky is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RackinRocky View Post
I found some fake begonias, soaked them for two days, and no color bled off, so I put them in the tank. Just the right height for the fish to go under, and they even look real! Thanks for the suggestions. Right now though, my fish are sick and dying on me daily. My heart is breaking.
Oh, so sad. I'm sorry. Do large water changes immediately. It's either the plant that had something, or your tank is cycling still? What are your water parameters?

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Member
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Do you suspect the begonias ? They probably weren't meant for an aquarium. I'd get them out and do some serious water changes. So sorry. That fact that your ram was out and happy tells me that you were providing a nice secure environment. They are more confident when they know they have a place to go and you seem to have had that covered.

Fishmonger
fish monger is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome