Shrimp in community tank || Snails vs. Shrimp || New User || Future Plans - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 12-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Shrimp in community tank || Snails vs. Shrimp || New User || Future Plans

All this talk about the barbs and shrimp, but the other fish are in jeopardy too, including the tiger barbs themselves. The tank just simply isn't big enough for them. I've kept tiger barbs for years in a variety of tank sizes and setups and would not suggest a tank smaller than a 29. The 30 inches of the 20 Long is good, but the height isn't enough IMO. These are fish that will need space to hide from each other from time to time, let alone space for other fish to hide from them.

And not to pile it on, but the danios could really use a 29 too.

I don't mean to be a downer about your stock, but I can't not warn you about such a looming issue. How you choose to keep your fish is your business - you're the one that has to look at them every day


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STARFOX likes this.

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 12-22-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
STARFOX's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
All this talk about the barbs and shrimp, but the other fish are in jeopardy too, including the tiger barbs themselves. The tank just simply isn't big enough for them. I've kept tiger barbs for years in a variety of tank sizes and setups and would not suggest a tank smaller than a 29. The 30 inches of the 20 Long is good, but the height isn't enough IMO. These are fish that will need space to hide from each other from time to time, let alone space for other fish to hide from them.

And not to pile it on, but the danios could really use a 29 too.

I don't mean to be a downer about your stock, but I can't not warn you about such a looming issue. How you choose to keep your fish is your business - you're the one that has to look at them every day


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are absolutely right @jaysee , adding two filters and doing 25% water changes twice a week is just a band aid solution until I can find a space in my small apartment to put a new stand and aquarium in.

Honestly it bothers me everyday

I would actually like to go beyond a 29 gallon and go straight to a 120g short using my existing 15 gallon as a sump with a refugium to put the shrimps in, but again what we want is totally different from what we can afford. Right now I can't afford the space.
STARFOX is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 AM
Member
 
chenning's Avatar
 
Get 6-8 nerite snails as nothing takes care of brown or blue green algea like them Secondly, ever though of dwarf crayfish? Shufeldtll or even CPOs would work. The crayfish are very underrated in their clean up ability and way over inflated in there being danger in their reputation.
STARFOX likes this.
chenning is offline  
 
post #24 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
STARFOX's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenning View Post
Get 6-8 nerite snails as nothing takes care of brown or blue green algea like them Secondly, ever though of dwarf crayfish? Shufeldtll or even CPOs would work. The crayfish are very underrated in their clean up ability and way over inflated in there being danger in their reputation.
Thank you @chenning for the valuable information. What are Shufeldtll and CPO?

I'm afraid though that crayfish might hurt my panda corys.
STARFOX is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
They are dwarf crayfish species - no threat at all to your fish. In fact, your fish may be a threat to them unless you provide lots of hiding spots. Too, the crayfish are a bigger threat to each other than anything. When they shed their shell, they are vulnerable to even the likes of neon tetras, which is why it's important to have lots of places for them to hide until the shells harden.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
STARFOX likes this.

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
STARFOX's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
They are dwarf crayfish species - no threat at all to your fish. In fact, your fish may be a threat to them unless you provide lots of hiding spots. Too, the crayfish are a bigger threat to each other than anything. When they shed their shell, they are vulnerable to even the likes of neon tetras, which is why it's important to have lots of places for them to hide until the shells harden.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll try asking my LFS, not sure if they have them here in the Philippines though but that sounds better than shrimp wherein they will just become fodder for my zebra danio's and tiger barbs
STARFOX is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
I would not recommend keeping the CPOs with tiger barbs, due to the cost of the crayfish and the potential for them to be killed by the barbs. The other species don't cost nearly as much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
STARFOX's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I would not recommend keeping the CPOs with tiger barbs, due to the cost of the crayfish and the potential for them to be killed by the barbs. The other species don't cost nearly as much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm sorry I haven't really read on crayfish and not really thought of them as tank mates before you mentioned them here. What other species do you suggest I research on?

Thanks BTW for all the valuable information.
STARFOX is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 12-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Shrimp in community tank || Snails vs. Shrimp || New User || Future Plans

Sorry, species is not exactly the right word. The orange crayfish are a color morph of the wild type. Wild types are striped and brownish in color, and cost a whole lot less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
Reply

Tags
amano shrimp , community tank , moss wall , planted tanks , red cherry shrimp

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gallon tank with shrimp, snails....and what else? TsukikoMythos Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 02-11-2013 12:14 AM
Adding shrimp to a community tank? JDM Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 02-05-2013 06:21 PM
Snails/Shrimp for Community Planted kangy Invertebrates 8 12-23-2011 12:47 PM
Adding Snails/ghost shrimp to a tropical tank FishyParents Invertebrates 3 05-05-2011 12:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome