Shrimp in 1 gallon, seriously!? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Cool Shrimp in 1 gallon, seriously!?

I was looking around the Inet for ideas what to do with the new 1 gallon, thinking along the lines of nano aqua-scaping type tank when I came across several articles about ghost shrimp in a 1 gallon....

Now the smallest tank I ever housed shrimp in was like a 12g and there again I didn't have ghost shrimp....

Do you seriously think it would be adequate to keep ghost shrimp in a 1 gallon?
Angel079 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Member
 
teddyzaper's Avatar
 
yay mabey 3-4 through no more

Subject: Larry LaPrise dead at 93

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which almost went unnoticed last week.

Larry LaPrise, the man that wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at the age of 93. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started.
teddyzaper is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah a 1 gal is fine for shrimp. I have a few cherry shrimp in about 1 gallon of water(it could be less though). There are some snails in there too. There was a male endler, but he seemed lonely. And the toad kept eying him from the land. It wasn't filtered.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Member
 
kelly528's Avatar
 
Yeah ghosts or cherries would work. Max of 10 cherries, max of maybe 5 ghost shrimp. Another nice tank inabitant would be a nerite snail or two. Would make a fabulous planted tank. I'm plannin on doing something similar in a 1/4 gallon cubic vase when I find the time.
kelly528 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
The only thing about small tanks is that they require alot of upkeep for there size IMO. Its hard to balance such a small amount of water. Evaporation is normal, but the small volume makes it seem much more noticeable. Stocking is very limited as well. Which is why not many people keep them. My first attempt a planting a 2 gal ended horribly. So far the 1gal of water in my paldarium has been doing great. Which actually surprising to me I expected it to be a algae battle, because theres a couple pounds of retained black dirt/sand on the other side of the tank. I was expecting nutrient run off and algae. So far none of that and plants have been pearling daily.

Still I would rather have larger tanks, but the small tanks are easier to sneak past the parents.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
The only thing about small tanks is that they require alot of upkeep for there size IMO. Its hard to balance such a small amount of water. Evaporation is normal, but the small volume makes it seem much more noticeable. Stocking is very limited as well. Which is why not many people keep them. My first attempt a planting a 2 gal ended horribly. So far the 1gal of water in my paldarium has been doing great. Which actually surprising to me I expected it to be a algae battle, because theres a couple pounds of retained black dirt/sand on the other side of the tank. I was expecting nutrient run off and algae. So far none of that and plants have been pearling daily.

Still I would rather have larger tanks, but the small tanks are easier to sneak past the parents.
Well yea my 55g's are "easier" and so is the 10's and all others....but even if I'd to simple design a very nice aqua landscaping and fiddle with it, for one it would be a new challenge AND if I was to put no inmates in it just think about all the options what I could "test" for a plant life w/out worrying about fish/ shrimp etc.
I just like the challenge and the understanding you gain in the process, even if I set up my 12th 55g, it kinda starts being the 'same' after a while and so far I had all sizes tank from 55 down, just not a 1g till now
Angel079 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Member
 
xrayjeeper83's Avatar
 
I have a 5 gallon with 2 apples, could i house some ghost shrimp if so how many?

5 gallon
Beta
3 MTS(sure to be mean more soon)

55 gallon
Bloat who is a Fahaka puffer
Plants
xrayjeeper83 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
With the beta you got in there...I'm sure he'd appreciate the extra dinner's
Angel079 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
Well yea my 55g's are "easier" and so is the 10's and all others....but even if I'd to simple design a very nice aqua landscaping and fiddle with it, for one it would be a new challenge AND if I was to put no inmates in it just think about all the options what I could "test" for a plant life w/out worrying about fish/ shrimp etc.
I just like the challenge and the understanding you gain in the process, even if I set up my 12th 55g, it kinda starts being the 'same' after a while and so far I had all sizes tank from 55 down, just not a 1g till now
You should try a paludarium with one of the larger tanks if you haven't. You know go a little dryer. It would be something different. A paludarium is like a "waters edge" tank, you have a water and land portion. Most keep fish and tree frogs. Heres a pic of my 5gal paludarium. Google will give you lots of pics of bigger ones and I can point you toward some build threads if you are interested.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Member
 
xrayjeeper83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
With the beta you got in there...I'm sure he'd appreciate the extra dinner's

oops forgot to update my sig......my beta lost a fight with the filter intake pipe

5 gallon
Beta
3 MTS(sure to be mean more soon)

55 gallon
Bloat who is a Fahaka puffer
Plants
xrayjeeper83 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shrimp suggestions for 29 gallon stevef10 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 03-16-2009 10:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome