Setting up for an oscar - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Setting up for an oscar

Setting up for an oscar

This is a discussion on Setting up for an oscar within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by aunt kymmie Looking forward to the pics. I can understand where your daughter's coming from as far as wanting an oscar. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Upside Down Catfish
Upside Down Catfish
Banded Leporinus
Banded Leporinus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Setting up for an oscar
Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Looking forward to the pics. I can understand where your daughter's coming from as far as wanting an oscar. One of the first things I did when I turned 18 was to get my own place and I immediately set up a 100gl with two oscars. I just had to have them...Good luck with yours!

Yeah,

She is very excited about the fish, we are in the process of moving rooms around, so she will have a bit more room, her twin sisters don't spend alot of time in their room, so we switch them. I will be setting up the new tank tonight, Gonna be fun.

Well we were at the LFS I also found out there are getting some dawrf puffers in with in a couple weeks
so as a x-mas present to myself, I plan on picking some puffers up. I will be getting a nice tank on sat, That way I have a nice long two weeks for the new tank to cycle..I am so excited about it, I have wanted puffers for as long as my daughter has wanted an oscar LOL! I want a nice big tank with a few puffers, So i am putting lots of plants and stuff :) gonna be so cool :)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.. I have learn so much just in the last 3 months on this forum :)

Don
MrHumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
If you take the filter media from you exiting 20g and rinse & squish it out in the new tanks, you'll add plenty of beneficial needed bacteria that way (will look 'dirty' for maybe ~1hrs till the filter has worked through) but its well worth the effort.
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
If you take the filter media from you exiting 20g and rinse & squish it out in the new tanks, you'll add plenty of beneficial needed bacteria that way (will look 'dirty' for maybe ~1hrs till the filter has worked through) but its well worth the effort.

Good call, I plan on doing that as well as adding my water change water from my 20 Gal as well.
Its gonna be such a nice tank when its setup. :) I'll post some pics tonight :)

Don
MrHumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Don't bother moving any tank water over from your 20 gallon. There's no bacteria in it, just toxins and nitrates. Using the gravel and filter media is what you want to seed your new tank. Also, your beneficial bacteria will die off if there is no ammonia source in the new tank. Add a few drops of pure ammonia or some fish flakes to keep the bacteria alive until you add fish.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHumphries View Post
Yeah,

She is very excited about the fish, we are in the process of moving rooms around, so she will have a bit more room, her twin sisters don't spend alot of time in their room, so we switch them. I will be setting up the new tank tonight, Gonna be fun.

Well we were at the LFS I also found out there are getting some dawrf puffers in with in a couple weeks
so as a x-mas present to myself, I plan on picking some puffers up. I will be getting a nice tank on sat, That way I have a nice long two weeks for the new tank to cycle..I am so excited about it, I have wanted puffers for as long as my daughter has wanted an oscar LOL! I want a nice big tank with a few puffers, So i am putting lots of plants and stuff :) gonna be so cool :)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.. I have learn so much just in the last 3 months on this forum :)

Don
You don't need a really big tank for dwarf puffers depending on how many you are getting. Just remember they need brackish water.
Also jeaninel is right. Water contains no beneficial bacteria. It is found in the gravel, decorations, filter media etc like others have mentioned.

Last edited by Rohland; 11-20-2009 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
 
Okay,

Sounds cool, I am getting some new filters for my 20 today, I will place the old one behind a filter in the new tank, and pull some gravel from the 20 as well, the tank is running, I put some water cond, and
BIO-Support in the tank, one of the filters I bought was a return and was missing parts, so I have to go back and hope they have another one.

As for my puffers I am hoping for a male and 3 females. if they have em, and from what i've read i need 5 gal per puffer, So I am gonna pick up a 20 Gal, and load it with plants. and like it cycle for
a awhile.

Don
MrHumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHumphries View Post
Okay,

Sounds cool, I am getting some new filters for my 20 today, I will place the old one behind a filter in the new tank, and pull some gravel from the 20 as well, the tank is running, I put some water cond, and
BIO-Support in the tank, one of the filters I bought was a return and was missing parts, so I have to go back and hope they have another one.

As for my puffers I am hoping for a male and 3 females. if they have em, and from what i've read i need 5 gal per puffer, So I am gonna pick up a 20 Gal, and load it with plants. and like it cycle for
a awhile.

Don
If the tank is well planted you really do not need a true cycle. The plants will do a better job at the denitrification process than your beneficial bacteria will.
NC Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Frank View Post
If the tank is well planted you really do not need a true cycle. The plants will do a better job at the denitrification process than your beneficial bacteria will.

I do plan on putting a large amount of live plants in my puffer tank. I Like the look of live plants, and the water is so clear too. I am going to petsmart tonight to look at tanks, they have some nice shaped ones.. a square one is getting boring LOL!

Don
MrHumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
 
Hey All,

Well as promised here are some pics of the new oscar tank, its been running for 3 full days. I am gonna
give it at least till this coming week end to finish.

I also went out to petsmart and picked up my new 20 Gal puffer setup, I paid a bit more then I wanted to but, WOW its a way better setup then my comm tank. I also picked up a new crib for Mr. H. I had to get him out of that jar Its a 2 gal, with a light and filter, the light will provide more then enough heat, He love's it :)

Here ya go, :)



And the Oscar tank pics..What a gorgeous tank, I want one now LOL!



MrHumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help setting up my 55 gal heyhi Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 05-27-2008 07:56 PM
Red Sea Max - setting it up! Rue Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 09-20-2007 10:15 AM
setting up need a little help Betta5 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 07-03-2007 10:10 AM
setting up a 20G reverendred Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 03-01-2007 01:48 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.