setting up new aquarium - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
setting up new aquarium

I will be setting up my 29 gallon tank this weekend. But before I go out and set everything up I need some feedback. First it will be a community type tank fish like neon tetra, guppy, and sword tails. For my filtration I was going to pick up an aquaclear, but unsure on size was leaning towards a 110 because hopefully will be getting larger tank in future. Also saw moving bed filter and was wondering if I could run one along with this or if that be wrong idea. I will be using sand with some plants as well and still seeing what plants I like and want so suggestions here would help along with lighting my tank with appropriate lights.
Goomba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
 
The aquaclear 110 will be overkill for a 29 gallon. You have to take in consider of the fish . They will probaly be thrown around with that type of filtration
smit3183 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
I have an AquaClear 20 on two of my 5 gallons, and also my 10 gallon. With it at the lowest setting my betta fish are doing fine. If the outflow is too strong you can baffle it with a sponge.
sparkyjoe is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
I will be setting up my 29 gallon tank this weekend. But before I go out and set everything up I need some feedback. First it will be a community type tank fish like neon tetra, guppy, and sword tails. For my filtration I was going to pick up an aquaclear, but unsure on size was leaning towards a 110 because hopefully will be getting larger tank in future. Also saw moving bed filter and was wondering if I could run one along with this or if that be wrong idea. I will be using sand with some plants as well and still seeing what plants I like and want so suggestions here would help along with lighting my tank with appropriate lights.

You mentioned a moving bed filter, Like a undergravel filter? if so not going to work with sand if you go with that route.
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
not an undergravel filter its media inside a bottle that is powered by an air pump
Goomba is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Member
 
You should find out your water parameters before you get fish.
ladayen is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
You should find out your water parameters before you get fish.
get some test strips or take ur tap water with you when u go to buy fish and have the store test it for you. do your homework on the fish you want and if your ph matches then cool if not make sure to research some backups ;)never heard of a moving bed filter but sounds cool. but in all reality you should be good with a decent HOB or w/e
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
get some test strips or take ur tap water with you when u go to buy fish and have the store test it for you. do your homework on the fish you want and if your ph matches then cool if not make sure to research some backups ;)never heard of a moving bed filter but sounds cool. but in all reality you should be good with a decent HOB or w/e

Get a good liquid test kit. Strips are inaccurate, and half the time store employees dont actually know what they are doing... and probably using strips anyhow. This way you can test immediately if something doesn't seem right and react quickly. A $30 investment on a good test kit will likely save you much more in fish value and more importantly save fish lives.
ladayen is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree. But before spending any money on something like a GH/KH test kit you may only use once, you can ascertain the GH and KH (and pH) of your tap water from the municipal water authority. Give us the numbers and we can suggest suitable fish that won't require any adjusting of water chemistry.

The API Master Test Kit (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) is a good investment.

Byron.
ZivaD likes this.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I just got my 29 setup and running on. I bought an aquaclear filter and didnt use the carbon it came with should I use another filter pad or bio media?
Also I still need a bubbler and a powerhead which will be bought next week. I also would like to find some sort of drift wood to have little more decoration in tank
Goomba is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a aquarium (mobile) SaltwaterTaylor14 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 09-28-2011 08:32 PM
Setting up my first saltwater aquarium vtguy09 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 10-26-2009 06:44 PM
Setting Up A Freshwater Aquarium SophieThomas Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 10-18-2009 03:39 PM
Setting up new aquarium rodneyri Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 49 12-05-2008 10:51 PM
setting up a new aquarium system seba Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 12-17-2007 07:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome