Setting Up New 10g Tank - Need Advice - Page 11 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 115 Old 09-19-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
For this tank, I might also consider a larger filter than the one rated for the tank or the addition of a small sponge filter.Both would provide a larger surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize.
What is a small sponge filter? I currently have a small sponge in the current filter with a rock/pebble bag on top. My filter has two parts to it. You squish a sponge into the bottom of the basket and place a pack of tiny pebbles on top of the sponge.

I have the motor cycling on max.
Big Fish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 115 Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Try googling info on types of sponge filters. I personally like the Hydro Sponge filter. They are stand alone filters that many use in hospital tanks,quarantine tanks,breeder tanks,or in addition to existing filters. Does provide more surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize as well as providing an established filter to set up quarantine tank or other tank quickly .

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #103 of 115 Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Latest Tank Readings!!

PH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 1.0

Nitrate: .5

OK, CHANGE THE WATER???

How do I bring down the NITRITE?
Big Fish is offline  
post #104 of 115 Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Water changes will do the trick. Glad you aren't showing ammonia, that's a good thing.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #105 of 115 Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Yes, no ammonia is a nice thing to see.

I did a water change and vacuumed the bottom. I did a surface clean of the gravel. A fair amount of crude came up.

Maybe that is the cause of the rise of Nitrite?

I have been avoiding vacuuming around the plants as I understand they need this stuff.

Fish are still good. No loses, tank is crystal, nice and clean. I will continue to do the changes until the readings are right.
Big Fish is offline  
post #106 of 115 Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
Yes, no ammonia is a nice thing to see.

I did a water change and vacuumed the bottom. I did a surface clean of the gravel. A fair amount of crude came up.

Maybe that is the cause of the rise of Nitrite?

I have been avoiding vacuuming around the plants as I understand they need this stuff.

Fish are still good. No loses, tank is crystal, nice and clean. I will continue to do the changes until the readings are right.
The nitrite is the second part of the nitrification cycle; it is produced by the nitrosomonas bacteria when they consume the ammonia. The second set of bacteria will begin multiplying to consume the nitrite.

When you do the pwc don't vacuum the substrate until the tank is cycled. As you say, some mulm is good, bacteria break it down into nitrogen for the plants. You don't want excess, but it is part of the normal cycle. And bacteria are colonizing the substrate and shouldn't be removed.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #107 of 115 Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Darn! I was a little more aggressive vacuuming up the mulm. I didn't move the gravel, just kept the vacuum over top of an area a little longer. Quite a bit came up.

Ok well, rookie mistakes.
Big Fish is offline  
post #108 of 115 Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
Darn! I was a little more aggressive vacuuming up the mulm. I didn't move the gravel, just kept the vacuum over top of an area a little longer. Quite a bit came up.

Ok well, rookie mistakes.
That won't hurt. Just don't dig down into the gravel, not until the tank is matured anyway. B.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #109 of 115 Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Byron,

Just a warning! Start making some free time for me...

I did the UNTHINKABLE today.....

Big Al was having a Tent Sale.

I picked up an Oceanic 50g, stand, Eheim Professional II Filter and Jager Heater. So, I think I am neck deep in the hobby now.

I will post some pics of the tank when I get a chance. There is NOOOOO rush to set this up. I will cycle this first before filling it.

Byron and the rest of you who have supported me with the 10g, I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge and for your patience. Thanks to you, I have decided to move to the next level.

I guess I will have to open a new forum to discuss the setting up of the 50g and the transfer of the 10g.
Big Fish is offline  
post #110 of 115 Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
Byron,

Just a warning! Start making some free time for me...

I did the UNTHINKABLE today.....

Big Al was having a Tent Sale.

I picked up an Oceanic 50g, stand, Eheim Professional II Filter and Jager Heater. So, I think I am neck deep in the hobby now.

I will post some pics of the tank when I get a chance. There is NOOOOO rush to set this up. I will cycle this first before filling it.

Byron and the rest of you who have supported me with the 10g, I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge and for your patience. Thanks to you, I have decided to move to the next level.

I guess I will have to open a new forum to discuss the setting up of the 50g and the transfer of the 10g.
Congrats. Yes, this hobby is addictive. My original 33g turned into a 90g within 4 months, and the next year a 115g, followed by a 70g the year following. Lack of more room kept me from expanding beyond I think. And yes, start a new thread; after 11 pages of posts in this thread, we'll all lose track of everything. B.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a hospital tank- PH advice needed aunt kymmie Tropical Fish Diseases 15 03-05-2010 09:13 PM
Advice on setting up my 50 gallon dm800 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 27 05-19-2009 01:09 PM
Beginner starting setting up a puffer tank - advice/suggestions most welcome wendex Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 03-30-2009 03:26 PM
Need advice on setting up a 125 gallon FW tank. hookedonfishtanks Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 05-07-2008 11:18 PM
advice for setting up snail tank & OK to add frogs? SST Invertebrates 1 12-28-2007 03:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome