setting up an amazon biotope/habitat aquarium - Page 7
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » setting up an amazon biotope/habitat aquarium

setting up an amazon biotope/habitat aquarium

This is a discussion on setting up an amazon biotope/habitat aquarium within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> thanks byron the help you give is pushing me along at a great pace. got a lot of stuff down and ordering things left ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Tiger Barb
Tiger Barb
False Network Catfish
False Network Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
setting up an amazon biotope/habitat aquarium
Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #61
 
thanks byron the help you give is pushing me along at a great pace. got a lot of stuff down and ordering things left and right :) can't wait for this tank to start happening :)
i meant to give the link for the 2234 which is a bit more expensive. would the 2232 suffice even though its rated for tanks 35 gallons and below, and my tank is 40 gallons?
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #62
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
thanks byron the help you give is pushing me along at a great pace. got a lot of stuff down and ordering things left and right :) can't wait for this tank to start happening :)
i meant to give the link for the 2234 which is a bit more expensive. would the 2232 suffice even though its rated for tanks 35 gallons and below, and my tank is 40 gallons?
I actually did spot that, they listed the three models, and I think you are OK with the smaller. Again, we have plants. A well planted tank actually needs no filter at all, so keeping that in mind you can go with the 2232 which will provide all that you need being water circulation through media to remove suspended particulate matter and carry water nutrients to the plants.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #63
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I actually did spot that, they listed the three models, and I think you are OK with the smaller. Again, we have plants. A well planted tank actually needs no filter at all, so keeping that in mind you can go with the 2232 which will provide all that you need being water circulation through media to remove suspended particulate matter and carry water nutrients to the plants.
ok i just bought the filter. it was 92 total including shipping which is a lot cheaper than places near me sell for. pretty much everything now is either shipping or on hold waiting to be shipped. im going to try to see what i can do about the lighting fixture today. you said it was minimal for growing anything which worries me a little. also, i would imagine that since the light is smaller than the length of the tank, it wont reach the far left and right ends of the tank as well . im going to try to work with that and see if it can be altered. if not, do you think lifting the light higher would help with this issue?
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #64
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
ok i just bought the filter. it was 92 total including shipping which is a lot cheaper than places near me sell for. pretty much everything now is either shipping or on hold waiting to be shipped. im going to try to see what i can do about the lighting fixture today. you said it was minimal for growing anything which worries me a little. also, i would imagine that since the light is smaller than the length of the tank, it wont reach the far left and right ends of the tank as well . im going to try to work with that and see if it can be altered. if not, do you think lifting the light higher would help with this issue?
No, because the higher the light source is from the water surface, the less intense the light will be. Fluorescent fixtures should sit on the tank frame (with a glass between to prevent issues with water) so that the light is directed into the water for maximum benefit. Of course, if one is using light that is greater than what is needed, it can be raised up and suspended over the tank. The farther the light has to travel, the weaker it becomes; and the dispersion of light into the air around the room when it is suspended will reduce the intensity significantly.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No, because the higher the light source is from the water surface, the less intense the light will be. Fluorescent fixtures should sit on the tank frame (with a glass between to prevent issues with water) so that the light is directed into the water for maximum benefit. Of course, if one is using light that is greater than what is needed, it can be raised up and suspended over the tank. The farther the light has to travel, the weaker it becomes; and the dispersion of light into the air around the room when it is suspended will reduce the intensity significantly.
ok that was what i thought would happen. im going to look at my light fixture today and see what i can do with it. if its unworkable then i may by a supplemental light on the side to be sure that i have beyond a minimal amount of light to the tank. when this tank is all done, hopefulyl in a week or two, ill defintely try to post pictures.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #66
 
hey byron, if i can't find a t8 bulb through lifeglo, will a t5 work? right now i am gonn amodify by life fixture. im going to cut it down the middle and expand it to 36 inches. ill have to double check if this is possible but i think it should be. would a t5HO light work instead of a t8? both hopefully will be 36 inches.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #67
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
hey byron, if i can't find a t8 bulb through lifeglo, will a t5 work? right now i am gonn amodify by life fixture. im going to cut it down the middle and expand it to 36 inches. ill have to double check if this is possible but i think it should be. would a t5HO light work instead of a t8? both hopefully will be 36 inches.
T5 and T8 require different fixtures, the tubes are not interchangeable.

In tubes of the same type (example, Life-Glo 2) and length, the T5 is about 1.5 times brighter than the T8.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #68
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
T5 and T8 require different fixtures, the tubes are not interchangeable.

In tubes of the same type (example, Life-Glo 2) and length, the T5 is about 1.5 times brighter than the T8.
ok got it. i went to the fish store and i checked the tubes just to see. they did have a life-glo tube that was 6700K. now i just have to modify my fixture to work with that tube.
about heaters, i looked on your tanks and 3 out of 4 of them use the fluval 150 watt heaters. 150 watt seems to be able to cover 30-55 gallons from what i saw online. can i use any 150w heater or do you have a certain favorite. im leaning toward the fluval because it is available locally, but it is $36
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #69
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
ok got it. i went to the fish store and i checked the tubes just to see. they did have a life-glo tube that was 6700K. now i just have to modify my fixture to work with that tube.
about heaters, i looked on your tanks and 3 out of 4 of them use the fluval 150 watt heaters. 150 watt seems to be able to cover 30-55 gallons from what i saw online. can i use any 150w heater or do you have a certain favorite. im leaning toward the fluval because it is available locally, but it is $36
I should check the equipment data on my Log, not sure how accurate it now is.

I have 200w heaters on my larger tanks, two heaters on each. Except for the one with the Eheim that has a heating element built in [this is the way to go if you have the option]. But the 4-foot and larger should have two heaters, one at either end next to the filter intake and return respectively.

As for the Fluval, the ones I have are the expensive digital screen heaters. I have four of these, and two have already failed. I bought Eheim Jager to replace those that failed.

Heater is the one piece of equipment that we should never go cheap on. A failure can kill a tank of fish overnight, whether failing to heat or failing to shut off.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I should check the equipment data on my Log, not sure how accurate it now is.

I have 200w heaters on my larger tanks, two heaters on each. Except for the one with the Eheim that has a heating element built in [this is the way to go if you have the option]. But the 4-foot and larger should have two heaters, one at either end next to the filter intake and return respectively.

As for the Fluval, the ones I have are the expensive digital screen heaters. I have four of these, and two have already failed. I bought Eheim Jager to replace those that failed.

Heater is the one piece of equipment that we should never go cheap on. A failure can kill a tank of fish overnight, whether failing to heat or failing to shut off.
i was looking at either the eheim jagers or this hydor inline heater. price wise they are pretty similar. the inline heater is 200W or 300W and the eheim jagers i was looking at 150W. im assuming the inline heater is like the one that is built into your filter? the canister i ordered, the ecco pro 2232, i do not think it has a heater built in. what would you recommend? from reading other people's thoughts on inline versus submerged, many like the inline because the tank temperature remains constant since water is heated before returning to the tank. but others like the submerged because accidents with the temp control knob are avoided more easily. here are the links to the inline one i am considering and the eheim jagers.
Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater UL 300W f/16mm & 5/8" Hose: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater UL 300W f/16mm & 5/8" Hose: Pet Supplies
= inline 300W
Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 200 In-Line Heater UL 200W f/12mm & 1/2" Hose: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 200 In-Line Heater UL 200W f/12mm & 1/2" Hose: Pet Supplies
= inline 200W (the difference is so minimal i might as well buy the 300W if inline heaters are the way to go.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-Aquarium-Thermostat-Heater/dp/B004I6U23C/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337896565&sr=1-4[/url] = submersible 200W

the heater i have on my 10 gallon right now is submersible and the temperature reamins constant but i also have good circulation where i placed it. what do you think? inline or submersible?
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon river basin biotope moomoofish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 12-23-2011 08:24 PM
Amazon biotope TFish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 103 09-24-2010 06:54 PM
Amazon Biotope Kelso Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 01-24-2010 10:06 PM
55gal Amazon BioTope petlover516 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 04-11-2009 01:22 PM
Amazon-ish Biotope Nevek Freshwater Journals 8 02-18-2007 04:09 PM


Tags
amazon biotope habitat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.