04-28-2011, 01:16 PM
| || |
All water conditioners are intended for use to condition tap water, nothing more. They are not meant as a "treatment" for problems. They are chemicals (most of them, there is I believe a declorinator that is not chemical, can't remember the name offhand) and the less chemicals entering a tank the better, especially if fish are present. I know most manufacturers say that conditioners can't be overdosed, but they can.
Prime like other products "does things" that affect water quality and water chemistry. In limited quantity as a water conditioner, this may have limited impact on the fish.
Daily partial water changes to reduce/eliminate ammonia and/or nitrite is the only safe way during cycling, if either is above .25 level.
Live plants in sufficient number will remove this issue completely, and that is still the safest cycling method because nature is doing it fast, and without any chemicals going into the water.