Sand with Plants?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Sand with Plants?

Sand with Plants?

This is a discussion on Sand with Plants? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I have a 38 Gal that has medium to medium large gravel. I also have plants that are half alive. My tank is stocked ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dojo Loach
Dojo Loach
Rainbow Shark
Rainbow Shark
Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
 
Sand with Plants?

I have a 38 Gal that has medium to medium large gravel. I also have plants that are half alive. My tank is stocked with 6 glo fish 2 neons 4 black fin tip tetra, 4 clown loaches, 5 black cooli loachs, 5 kuhli loaches, and a giant common pleco.

I didnt know we would go the way of the loach and know they like to burrow. Would it be worth switching 80 lbs of gravel with 60lbs of sand? I want to keep my plants, but not sure what kind of sand would be good. Ive been looking at Aqua Terra tan sand.

If you need to know more about my set up id be more then happy to let you know.

Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Your more immediate problem is with the fish, specifically the pleco and clown loaches. The former attains 18 inches, the latter 12+ inches though 8-12 in an aquarium is common, and neither will be successful long-term in a 38g tank. Do you have plans to re-home them? Or for a larger tank? The clown loach require 6-feet and up for a group of 5-6 (4 is prob OK). The info in the fish profile explains this. You can click on shaded names to go to the fish's profile, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar.

The kuhlis would appreciate the sand; so would the clowns but in a larger environment.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Your more immediate problem is with the fish, specifically the pleco and clown loaches. The former attains 18 inches, the latter 12+ inches though 8-12 in an aquarium is common, and neither will be successful long-term in a 38g tank. Do you have plans to re-home them? Or for a larger tank? The clown loach require 6-feet and up for a group of 5-6 (4 is prob OK). The info in the fish profile explains this. You can click on shaded names to go to the fish's profile, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar.

The kuhlis would appreciate the sand; so would the clowns but in a larger environment.
Well I have a 150 tall tank but im not allowed to set it up per the land lord. It will be about 2 years before i have a house to set it up.

Would 2 clown loaches be better then 4?
Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
Well I have a 150 tall tank but im not allowed to set it up per the land lord. It will be about 2 years before i have a house to set it up.

Would 2 clown loaches be better then 4?
No, they would be stressed even more. Please have a read of the profile for this species, it has this explained under Compatibility/Temperament.

How large are they now? Clowns tend to grow quickly from the 2 inch size to 5 inches.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No, they would be stressed even more. Please have a read of the profile for this species, it has this explained under Compatibility/Temperament.

How large are they now? Clowns tend to grow quickly from the 2 inch size to 5 inches.

Right now they are about 2 inches. Ive had them for about 2 1/2 months.
Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sand with plants ollecram Beginner Planted Aquarium 12 11-09-2009 08:54 PM
Anchoring plants in sand MikeyG Beginner Planted Aquarium 13 10-06-2009 08:14 AM
Plants and sand Herky Beginner Planted Aquarium 8 08-30-2009 01:30 PM
Quick question about sand & plants Kim Beginner Planted Aquarium 30 11-02-2008 07:06 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.