salinity in FW tank - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » salinity in FW tank

salinity in FW tank

This is a discussion on salinity in FW tank within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> As was pointed out, the split in the hobby is mostly a "yes or no" issue, however, I fall into that "inbetween category". Let ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Leopold Angelfish
Leopold Angelfish
Moonlight Gourami
Moonlight Gourami
Reply
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
As was pointed out, the split in the hobby is mostly a "yes or no" issue, however, I fall into that "inbetween category". Let me explain:
Some fish are extremely sensitive to salt, such as loaches, neons, cardinals, and a lot of others. On the other hand, fish such as mollys, guppys, platys, and many others, do better with salt added. Mollys like a lot of salt. Why are you letting people dictate to you about salt based on their "opinions" when you can simply listen to the fish? Whether you add salt or not should depend more on what is in your tank than on what people think about it. How much salt to add should come from that same information. What kind of fish do you have? I saw you mentioned neons? Neons is a no no. They will do much better and stay much healthier without any salt at all. Give me a list, maybe I can help you sort it out... it may come down to a matter of which is the better of 2 evils... who can tolerate what better than the rest.
I always let me fish decide, and I have yet to have problems either way. After all, isn't the real issue about making THEM comfortable? This is THEIR envioronment, after all.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
As was pointed out, the split in the hobby is mostly a "yes or no" issue, however, I fall into that "inbetween category". Let me explain:
Some fish are extremely sensitive to salt, such as loaches, neons, cardinals, and a lot of others. On the other hand, fish such as mollys, guppys, platys, and many others, do better with salt added. Mollys like a lot of salt. Why are you letting people dictate to you about salt based on their "opinions" when you can simply listen to the fish? Whether you add salt or not should depend more on what is in your tank than on what people think about it. How much salt to add should come from that same information. What kind of fish do you have? I saw you mentioned neons? Neons is a no no. They will do much better and stay much healthier without any salt at all. Give me a list, maybe I can help you sort it out... it may come down to a matter of which is the better of 2 evils... who can tolerate what better than the rest.
I always let me fish decide, and I have yet to have problems either way. After all, isn't the real issue about making THEM comfortable? This is THEIR envioronment, after all.
Good explanation, Dawn.:) I, myself, have been wondering why put salt especially when you have neons. Fish that thrive well in soft water particularly those from Amazon will not easily tolerate salt long-term. As for angelfish, scalares can simply tolerate them as they have long been bred in captivity thus they are able to adjust well on the wide ranges of water conditions.
Personally, I'd use salt only on emergencies but you should also be aware of what fish you are treating as Dawn mentioned previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselnoze
my neons and tiger barbs have been lookin better and better everyday. could this be because of the lack of salt? could salt make them act mopy?
Neons simply cannot tolerate the salt as mentioned before. Leave your tank without salt. Adding salt in a tank with soft water natives is just asking for troubles.
The question often would be why use salt when your fish are fine in their present environment.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
 
Looks like and I posted about the same time.

I would have to assume that normal bodies of water do contain some salt. As far as how much, not sure.

I've read allot of facts about loaches beubg sensitive to salt, but strangely enough, one of the recommendations for battling ich is using salt. I had one loach with some signs of ich and I was worried about the rest of my fish getting it. I did research and was thinking of using meds, but I know the great risk it is to the other fish. I heard about salt being commonly used for ich, but I also read that salt was bad for loaches. I was caught in a dilemna. On the loach forums, salt was actually advised to battle against ich, so I tried it. My loach was cured and no fish showed signs of ich. I also read the benifits of using salt in fish, so I kept using it.

As I mentioned before, I realized several months later that I was overdosing the salt. Strangly, the fish in the tank were a few of the ones that were sensitive to salt (dwarf gourami, neon tetras, loaches, plecos, etc.) and all the ones I decided to keep are still alive, with the exception of my one angel, which I'm trying to cure for swim bladder problems.

As I'm sure that many of you who have used salt or may have seen in the forums, the common thing people do with aquarium salt is to just dump it into the tank. There were no expicit instructions as how to apply it. So my assumption is, when fish see something fall in the water, they quickly assume it's food. So some of these fish may have tried eating the salt crystals.

Loaches, plecos, etc. are all bottom dwellers. So if the bottom dwelling fish came in contact with the undissolved salt crystals, the fish would have been hurt from the strong concentration of salt.

Basically, that is my theory.

Would I use aquarium salt? Of course! I still keep a large container of aquarium salt just in case.

Would I use aquarium salt on a regular basis? I prefer not to, since it would get kind of expensive having to buy it all the time. I want my hobby to be a hobby and not a science project. Besides, my fishes seem happy with or without it.
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
What kind of fish do you have? I saw you mentioned neons? Neons is a no no. They will do much better and stay much healthier without any salt at all. Give me a list, maybe I can help you sort it out... it may come down to a matter of which is the better of 2 evils... who can tolerate what better than the rest.
i have neons (which you say hate salt) tiger barbs (idk what preference) 2 bumblebees (love salt, actually brackish) and a hillstream loach (also which you say hates salt.) oh and a dwarf frog (salt or no salt?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
The question often would be why use salt when your fish are fine in their present environment.[/color]
well i see your point but isnt that a rather naive way of looking at it? just because it appears to be ok doesnt mean there isnt any underlying issues. maybe i misunderstood you.
weaselnoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
Let me try to rephrase this, maybe it will make more sense.
Cough medicine is used to treat a cough. If you take it to treat the cough, do you then continue to take it every day to prevent the cough from coming back? If you don't have a cough, are you going take it just so you don't get a cough? Is the same kind of cough medicine safe for all people? We're all people.... right? So what would the problem be?
Does this make more sense?
Another way... asprin is another good example.... the Dr's say it's good to take to prevent a heart attack, but does that mean everyone should or does take it regularly to prevent a heart attack? Why? Why not?
You're dealing with salt in much the same way when putting it into a freswater aquarium. Bumble bees are brackish, so they don't fit into this category because their natural environment is brackish.
When dealing with aquarium salt you are dealing with sodium chloride. In a natural freshwater river or lake, you have some "salts" but not in the form of sodium chloride. There's a big difference, and the animals we're talking about, if exposed long term to sodium chloride, especially in high concentrations (such as 1 tbsp/10 gallons), it will have negative effects on their central nervous system. Then we are talking about permanent damage and shorter life span....
Once again, I will say, to use salt or not depends on the animals in the aquarium.
My husband and I are currently researching the "salt" issue, so I'll post more when I can better explain our findings. We're checking into the salt content of natural waterways in different parts of the world.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #16
 
JouteiMike's Avatar
 
I suggest you all read that article I posted. It expresses my views towards the use of salt in the aquarium.
JouteiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
Let me try to rephrase this, maybe it will make more sense.
Cough medicine is used to treat a cough. If you take it to treat the cough, do you then continue to take it every day to prevent the cough from coming back? If you don't have a cough, are you going take it just so you don't get a cough? Is the same kind of cough medicine safe for all people? We're all people.... right? So what would the problem be?
Does this make more sense?
Another way... asprin is another good example.... the Dr's say it's good to take to prevent a heart attack, but does that mean everyone should or does take it regularly to prevent a heart attack? Why? Why not?
You're dealing with salt in much the same way when putting it into a freswater aquarium. Bumble bees are brackish, so they don't fit into this category because their natural environment is brackish.
When dealing with aquarium salt you are dealing with sodium chloride. In a natural freshwater river or lake, you have some "salts" but not in the form of sodium chloride. There's a big difference, and the animals we're talking about, if exposed long term to sodium chloride, especially in high concentrations (such as 1 tbsp/10 gallons), it will have negative effects on their central nervous system. Then we are talking about permanent damage and shorter life span....
Once again, I will say, to use salt or not depends on the animals in the aquarium.
My husband and I are currently researching the "salt" issue, so I'll post more when I can better explain our findings. We're checking into the salt content of natural waterways in different parts of the world.

In fact, Dawn's statement makes sense. Don't fix what is not broken. May not be fix but I would not try it as your fish are living in the conditions that they generally prefer. Use salt only for emergency purposes.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones57742
... You have (perhaps unknowingly) just stepped foot into an ongoing [raging?] debate in the hobby. ...
"Ah ha, Ah ha" I was correct: we are up to Page 2 of this issue!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
Let me try to rephrase this, maybe it will make more sense.
Cough medicine is used to treat a cough. If you take it to treat the cough, do you then continue to take it every day to prevent the cough from coming back?
No!
BUT
every "several months" when Chris is here and is "cleaning the house" she does spray Lysol around the house and in the trash cans!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jones57742
...
When I reentered the hobby after 35 years (about 8 months ago) I maintained a 1Tblspn/20G "maintenance concentration".

After reading additional literature and reviewing various threads I ceased this practice.

Within a month several guppies had died and I was "fighting ich" on my large black angel.

My current protocol is to at approximate monthly intervals dose with 1Tblspn/20G and maintain the concentration for several days.
...

I view this as a "Lysol operation".

TR
jones57742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #19
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones57742
"Ah ha, Ah ha" I was correct: we are up to Page 2 of this issue!
So much for your prediction. Well, generally debates would reach 2 pages or more. One page only means issue is finished without others posting their opinions on the matter.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #20
 
I agree. Never use meds in a fish tank when it's not required. But you can still use salt if you like. Salt is not a med, it's a mineral. All living things need more or less of certain minerals.
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering and increasing salinity jjtf00 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 11-02-2009 08:28 PM
raising salinity in GSP tank scooterjuniuspilot Brackish Water 0 06-18-2009 02:42 AM
salinity RLHam3 Water Chemistry 2 11-11-2008 09:52 PM
Salinity problem bugoy Saltwater Fish Diseases 20 05-31-2008 05:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.