01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by trapperwolves
When I set up my 29 and 10 gallon tank I used water straight from the tap not realising the kh (16) and gh (15) was so high. I knew I had hard water but did not do any testing to determine the results. The ph of my tap water was 7.8. I have since installed a water softener which brought the gh to 3 but left the kh at 16. I have also installed a RO unit and have been very slowly doing small 16% (twice per week) water changes using almost 100% RO water. I tried not to change the water parameters to drastically or to quick.
As of yesterday the water in both tanks are gh-4 kh-6 and ph 7.5 and 7.4. The tanks were originally set up with plastic plants. I have since made the switch to real plants and I was trying to adjust the water parameters to induce plant growth and health and also help the well being of the fish with better water conditions.
I was afraid that by recently using almost 100% RO water I might be robbing the plants and fish of required nutrients that are not measured by gh/kh readings.
As a side note--ammomnia 0 nitrites 0
nitrates 15 ppm for 29 gallon tank
nitrates 10 ppm for 10 gallon tank.
Thank you again for your response.
I obviously should also have asked what fish species. Plants will be fine with what you now have, and the pH may lower naturally. Fish are more critical pH and GH wise. The KH itself has no effect whatsoever on fish or plants; it is its role in buffering pH that is important.
At this point I might just let things stabilize and monitor pH somewhat regularly (every few days if no changes, more often if you see it changing). KH can be removed by boiling the water; this boils out the carbonates. I've never needed to do this, but another member did and reported some interesting results where the GH rose a bit. You might want to try this to lower your KH. I've no idea how much boiling this takes. One of these days I intend to do a bit more research on this aspect.
My GH and KH out of the tap are < 1 d and for all I know may be non-existent. This is fine for my soft water fish, most of which are wild caught, and with two exceptions the plants are fine too. Vallisneria grows but not well in my soft water, and this doesn't bother me because I knew this when I got some Vallisneria to try. But my swords are now having troubles with calcium deficiency, and this causes them to take up too much iron, and iron excess slowly kills the leaves. Following Diana Walstad's advice, I am attempting to raise the GH to around 4 d. I used to use dolomite in the filter to deal with this, and it worked very well; the pH stabilized around 6.2-6.4 and the swords were lush and green. I can't get dolomite locally any longer, and have tried aragonite in two tanks but the pH is rising to 7 and 7.2 which I don't like, so I'm still fiddling. In a third tank I am resorting to Seachem's Equilibrium. I will go with the method that works best once I've monitored these for a few months.