rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister

rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister

This is a discussion on rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I've had my fluval 305 running now for less than 2 months. How often is it needed to take out the cartridges and rinse ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Splashing Tetra
Splashing Tetra
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister
Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
rinsing cartridge ? for 305 fluval canister

I've had my fluval 305 running now for less than 2 months. How often is it needed to take out the cartridges and rinse them in tank water or clean water with water conditioner? I have no idea of this, and need suggestions.

The tank is 43 gal, stocked to a decent level, but not over stocked. I do approx. 50% wc each week, and when I do my wc, my nitrates are a bit more than 5ppm, but not at 10ppm. I do have live plants.

Thanks

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
I can't speak directly regarding the Fluval, but I end up cleaning my Eheim 2215 much more frequently than I originally planned to (lots of plant debris in my tank). I break down the filter for cleaning whenever the filtered water outflow decreases significantly. I find that's the best gauge for me for cleaning frequency.
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
I can't speak directly regarding the Fluval, but I end up cleaning my Eheim 2215 much more frequently than I originally planned to (lots of plant debris in my tank). I break down the filter for cleaning whenever the filtered water outflow decreases significantly. I find that's the best gauge for me for cleaning frequency.

Thanks - that brings up another question. I have my output hose about 3-4 inches from the top of the water. I'm wondering if I should have it closer to the top, if not even skimming the top to create more water movement on top.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
As was mentioned, the flow from the filter is something to keep an eye on. The filter will run best (i.e., be most effective and efficient) if the water is able to flow through the media at the intended rate for the filter; once it starts getting blocked, it will either decrease the filter's efficiency or it may be able to find an alternate route around the media and this also means ineffective filtration. Each tank is different, and the fish load both in terms of numbers and also of size (and in some cases species) is the prime factor in this. Plant debris collecting in the filter is also a factor, since this will impede the flow.

Filter manufacturers often recommend a schedule for cleaning (= rinsing media and pads/foam) and replacing media. The replacement is something that normally is not necessary provided the media is still effectively doing its job. I'm not sure exactly what the cartridges you mention are, so I can't say much more at the moment.

Rather than wait for the water flow to slow, I find that after a few months it is possible to gage when the filter will need cleaning, and again each tank and each filter will or may be different. My 115g has a Rena XP3 and I find it needs cleaning (=rinsing) every 2 months or it will slow very significantly. My 90g and 70g with an Eheim Pro II is fine at 4 months. I never notice any change in flow in the Eheims, I just know that in 4-5 months the pads will be "dirty" and need it. The Rena for some reason clogs much faster and the flow reduces. The first time after I set it up it was the fish that pointed this out to me; I noticed the corys were respirating faster and getting a bit lethargic--when I started checking around, the reduced water flow from the filter caught my attention. A thorough cleaning of the filter was all that was needed, and the corys were back to their normal behaviours. Ever since, I've done it every 2 months.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
 
There are many factors that will dictate the required frequency of filter maintenance. The combinations of filter, filter type, filter efficiency, bio-load are endless.
The only way to know for sure is to monitor, inspect and adjust the frequency as required to ensure proper operation.
On average, I'd bet that the Fluval 305 with an avg bio-load will probably require tear down cleaning once every 2-3 months - but again, it varies significantly.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 

Thanks all! I'll check it in the couple weeks and see how it looks. Appreciate the feedback.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post

Thanks - that brings up another question. I have my output hose about 3-4 inches from the top of the water. I'm wondering if I should have it closer to the top, if not even skimming the top to create more water movement on top.
Gwen
If you get a film forming on the surface, you may need more surface agitation, otherwise you can leave as is!
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
. The first time after I set it up it was the fish that pointed this out to me; I noticed the corys were respirating faster and getting a bit lethargic--when I started checking around, the reduced water flow from the filter caught my attention. A thorough cleaning of the filter was all that was needed, and the corys were back to their normal behaviours. Ever since, I've done it every 2 months.

Byron.
exactly why would they be respirating fast? not to get off track, just something i have never looked for.
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
If you get a film forming on the surface, you may need more surface agitation, otherwise you can leave as is!

Thanks for that - helpful. I had noticed a very small amount of film, and couldn't figure out why I had that, because I wash my hands carefully before I put them in the tank. I did my wc yesterday, and moved it to the surface, before I saw your post, but now I'm glad I did.

So, because I see the same thing (film on surface) in my other, smaller tank, I'm wondering how to create more surface movement in that tank. I have a HOB Aquaclear in that one. I could put in air stone in, but really don't want to. Is it "bad" to not have enough surface movement?? I have 2 German Rams and 8 Cardinals in this smaller tank, and want to make sure they all stay healthy.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patadams66 View Post
exactly why would they be respirating fast? not to get off track, just something i have never looked for.

I'm guessing that rapid respiration, means a lack of oxygen in the water.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluval Canister Filter Spray bar yodapoolman Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 08-30-2011 05:35 AM
Fluval 205 canister for a 29 gal tank? JimBinSC Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 07-03-2011 07:33 AM
Noisy Fluval Canister Bazil Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 04-29-2010 06:15 AM
Canister filter,Fluval 405? Rfraser Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 03-09-2007 05:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.