Restarting a tank... have questions. :)
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Restarting a tank... have questions. :)

Restarting a tank... have questions. :)

This is a discussion on Restarting a tank... have questions. :) within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I want to start using my 5 gallon tank again. ONLY my 5 gallon. I want to get a dwarf puffer, and maybe eventually, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Banded Dwarf Loach
Banded Dwarf Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Restarting a tank... have questions. :)
Old 10-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
 
SolaceTiger's Avatar
 
Wink Restarting a tank... have questions. :)

I want to start using my 5 gallon tank again. ONLY my 5 gallon.

I want to get a dwarf puffer, and maybe eventually, 5 ghost shrimp or so... if the puffer finds them and likes to eat them, so be it. I plan on having lots of fake plants and hiding places in the tank.

Currently, my 5 gallon tank (which used to house my betta, Zidane), is in my bathtub, in a vinegar and water solution with all my fake plants inside. I plan to rinse it exceptionally well when it's done and leave it to dry.

I want to do a quick fishless cycling... I've heard good things about Seachem Stability, and I'm assuming I'll need a good dechlorinator to... like Prime? Should I use the Stability only for the cycling process, then just use the Prime for water changes? I have well water with high iron content, but we use a softener... when the softener wasn't working before we got the new one, the water was orange. Will this water with the softener be fine, as long as it's dechlorinated? (Sometimes there is a metallic smell.)

Any tips are welcome. I've had a 30 gallon, 5, and 10 gallon all set up at the same time in the past... in fact, I used to be a very active member here, I'm glad to be back. :)
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
 
You should find out exactly how hard your water is.

As to Prime and stability, read the directions on the bottle. Follow them precisely.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
 
gmate's Avatar
 
If you get a Puffer, you'd be obliged to name it Quina.
gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
 
SolaceTiger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmate View Post
If you get a Puffer, you'd be obliged to name it Quina.
Oh my goodness, that name is perfect! I may just do that. Ironic, that I've been wanting to finish my game of FF9 lately. :3
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Most water softeners work by using certain minerals to affect/remove other minerals. You'll want to find out just how it works, i.e., what minerals/salts/chemicals is it using. As these can sometimes be worse than the initial hardness for fish. Not all softeners are like this, so this is just a caution.

Nice to have you back too.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
 
SolaceTiger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Most water softeners work by using certain minerals to affect/remove other minerals. You'll want to find out just how it works, i.e., what minerals/salts/chemicals is it using. As these can sometimes be worse than the initial hardness for fish. Not all softeners are like this, so this is just a caution.

Nice to have you back too.

Byron.

So I actually looked in my fish stuff, and realized I still have my GH and KH test kit, and master API Kit. I haven't used them in over a year and I'm not sure when they expire. I tested my water from the tap, and given my spastic ADD tendencies, I may be lying on these numbers. But... I got a reading of 200-400 ppm of KH, and 0-50 ppm for GH. A pH from 7.2-7.4. Does this sound accurate? I'll probably do it again soon. Also, I've decided on a dwarf puffer... possibly, some ghost shrimp given I have enough hiding places!
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaceTiger View Post
So I actually looked in my fish stuff, and realized I still have my GH and KH test kit, and master API Kit. I haven't used them in over a year and I'm not sure when they expire. I tested my water from the tap, and given my spastic ADD tendencies, I may be lying on these numbers. But... I got a reading of 200-400 ppm of KH, and 0-50 ppm for GH. A pH from 7.2-7.4. Does this sound accurate? I'll probably do it again soon. Also, I've decided on a dwarf puffer... possibly, some ghost shrimp given I have enough hiding places!
Don't know about accuracy, but if the KH is that high, I would suspect something is entering the water via the softener. The GH is quite low, as expected. But the KH might be salts of some sort.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
 
SolaceTiger's Avatar
 
Hmm, if the KH is high like that... should I try and reduce it?
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaceTiger View Post
Hmm, if the KH is high like that... should I try and reduce it?
Given that you are doing a 5 gallon tank, I would use rainwater, RO water, or a mix. But I would find out what the softener is adding; diluting it with rainwater or RO or even distilled water as for water changes should be feasible.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restarting 55 gallon goldfish tank fungambler Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 06-30-2010 06:21 PM
Restarting 10 gallon aquarium redchique Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 08-13-2009 12:49 PM
restarting from scratch dallops_of_polyps Saltwater Journals 7 06-22-2008 07:44 PM
Restarting old Tank... Opinions Please? Grits Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 01-26-2008 03:01 PM


Tags
5 gallon aquarium, dwarf puffer, puffer fish, seachem prime, seachem stability

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.