random creatures in my tank!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » random creatures in my tank!

random creatures in my tank!

This is a discussion on random creatures in my tank! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> this is hard to explain but i woke up and looked at my 10 gallon tank and when i turned on the aquarium lights, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Clown Pleco
Clown Pleco
Red Tailed Shark
Red Tailed Shark
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
random creatures in my tank!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Exclamation random creatures in my tank!

this is hard to explain but i woke up and looked at my 10 gallon tank and when i turned on the aquarium lights, i noticed these tiny tiny tiny little white things on the glass, plants, and gravel. the are hard to describe and cant take a pic of them, but they look like scale bugs. Flat, roundish things with a red spot in the middle (organs maybe?) they dont look like snails since they seem to be an entire body rather than a blob in a shell. what are these things? they just appeared overnight! my fish seem to be doing as well as they usually are.


I checked an hour ago and they seem to be gone. maybe they come out at night? the largest one i saw was about the size of a pinhead?
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Maybe planaria?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Maybe planaria?

i dont think so, these are oval like more than long and arenet free swimming. She slide across the glass, plants, and gravel
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
Sounds like snails to me. But not the common pond snails that you are used to seeing.

I think you have Acroloxidae snails. I have them in my show tank as well, and haven't experienced any issues related to them. They are so small that I rarely notice them there. And yes, mine seem to only come out at night, there is no sign of them within an hour of the lights coming on.

A bit of info about them here:
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php

Last edited by DanMarion; 01-03-2011 at 11:09 AM..
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Good call! Those seem like it! Where do you think they came from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino View Post
Good call! Those seem like it! Where do you think they came from?
Posted via Mobile Device

As far as I can tell, mine came in either on a Sword plant I bought, or with a group of Cherry Shrimp. Both were added about the same time, so I can't narrow it down any further.

I think that most of the time, snails come from plants. I don't even try to do anything about controlling them. They are a good cleanup crew for the aquarium. Just make sure you don't overfeed your fish, and your snails won't have enough munchies to completely take over.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarion View Post
As far as I can tell, mine came in either on a Sword plant I bought, or with a group of Cherry Shrimp. Both were added about the same time, so I can't narrow it down any further.

I think that most of the time, snails come from plants. I don't even try to do anything about controlling them. They are a good cleanup crew for the aquarium. Just make sure you don't overfeed your fish, and your snails won't have enough munchies to completely take over.
i think it was some pennywort i added recently. It was the one time i didnt thouroughly clean the plant XD
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
I used to try cleaning plants before putting them in, but I decided it was futile : P

Seems to me that EVERYONE with a planted tank ends up with snails at one point or another. I rinse my plants off with tank water before planting them, I don't really bother with scrubbing.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
 
1077's Avatar
 
I usually leave plant's in a bucket of aquarium water for 24 hours before rinsing them. Seems a lot of the snails think they have found a new home and the rinsing helps remove the rest but yes,,I too have snails that I did not place in the tank on purpose, as well as trumpet snails which I did place in the tank.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I usually leave plant's in a bucket of aquarium water for 24 hours before rinsing them. Seems a lot of the snails think they have found a new home and the rinsing helps remove the rest but yes,,I too have snails that I did not place in the tank on purpose, as well as trumpet snails which I did place in the tank.
i have malaysian trumpet snails i put in the tank but this is actually the first time ive had snails without consent. at least they arent pond snails XD
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New tank and creatures! JHK30 Freshwater Journals 37 01-18-2009 05:21 PM
random pics of my 400ltr tank The-Wolf Freshwater Journals 16 12-15-2007 06:08 PM
new creatures serpaekeeper45 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 08-22-2007 01:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.