Rams and tankmates - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Rams and tankmates

Ok, first I want ot ask are there any Rams that can thrive happily in a 10 gallon ? Also is a 20 gallon big enough for 2 blue rams, 3 cories, cherry shrimp, 2 MALE guppies, and maybe 5 neon tetras???? Or if that isn't big enough what can go in a 20 with 2 blue rams??? ANYTHING??
veganchick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Member
 
I think with the proper conditions, weekly water changes, very acidic water and plenty of plants, ONE Ram would do fine. Nothing else.

You need to be careful in a 20G. When you say two, do you mean a pair or 2 females? A pair, if they breed, could easily kill off everything else in the tank because they wouldn't be able to fend off a cichlid. Two females may be ok if they are the last added, added at the same time, and you have plenty of hiding spots.

Oh, 20 long or high?
Cody is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
either one, I haven't got the 20 gallon yet, is long or high better for rams? WHAT KIND of ram would do well in a ten gallon? oh, and I was going to get 2 females.
veganchick is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Member
 
A 20L is always better than a high. More swimming space, more surface area, etc.

Really any of the common Rams do fine. All have very similar care requirements (Bolivian, Gold, Blue, etc).
Cody is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
If you plant your tank really well you would be able to get away with a pair. They might try to kill your shrimp but your tetras are fast enough to get away. And thats only if they breed.

IMO Blue rams are the best, definitely one of the more attractive rams.

I would watch for the guppies though, someone on this forum kept guppies with a single blue ram, and said they got along fine. But they might try to chew on the guppies tail.

ps. It's nice to see a fellow vegan on the forum.

And just before you laid dead weight upon its shores, I stung you in the face for that's the nature of my core.
Little-Fizz is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz View Post
If you plant your tank really well you would be able to get away with a pair. They might try to kill your shrimp but your tetras are fast enough to get away. And thats only if they breed.

IMO Blue rams are the best, definitely one of the more attractive rams.

I would watch for the guppies though, someone on this forum kept guppies with a single blue ram, and said they got along fine. But they might try to chew on the guppies tail.

ps. It's nice to see a fellow vegan on the forum.
Thanks! I am glad you said blue cuz they are GORGIOUS!! but i say that about all fish! lol! ok, I am not gonna do the guppies, they can stay in the 3 gallon! Am am soooooooo exited about these fishies!!! :) They are AWESOME!!! Wait, r u a vegan 2? If so thats cool!!!
veganchick is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Member
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Do you plan on cycling the tank without fish? Yeah the blue rams are really pretty, they have been my goal since I started my 20 gallon... Lol like 4 months ago, now it's over run with like 30 platy fry. And yes I am vegan, lol it's freaking awesome.

And just before you laid dead weight upon its shores, I stung you in the face for that's the nature of my core.
Little-Fizz is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz View Post
Do you plan on cycling the tank without fish? Yeah the blue rams are really pretty, they have been my goal since I started my 20 gallon... Lol like 4 months ago, now it's over run with like 30 platy fry. And yes I am vegan, lol it's freaking awesome.
Actually, I was just going to ask if there were any really hardy fish I would put in after a few weeks, because I want the tank to be perfect for my little rams!!! Oh, and ya...... Vegans are freakin awesome!!! LOL
veganchick is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Tyyrlym's Avatar
 
Are you talking about cycling with fish or adding in some hardy fish post cycle?

Tetra Fanatic
Watch my tank progress from Craigslist salvage to fishy habitat: Aaron's Tank
The only things that happen quickly in an aquarium are bad things.
Tyyrlym is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyrlym View Post
Are you talking about cycling with fish or adding in some hardy fish post cycle?
ya

~veganchick~

All things bright an beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord, God made them all.



*Vegans Have more Fun*

http://www.petshopanimals.webs.com
veganchick is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bolivian Rams and Gold Rams projectcam95 Cichlids 5 11-04-2008 07:14 AM
29g tankmates LincolnS Freshwater and Tropical Fish 8 01-19-2008 09:18 AM
New Tankmates? shavon Freshwater and Tropical Fish 37 02-07-2007 09:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome