Questions and pics of my two planted tanks - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
dont take this as demeining but here are the definitions. DI water RO water click to be linked.

DI=de ionized water
RO= reverse osmosis water

linking the wikis to give you the pure facts with hopefully no confusion and so you can understand the diffrences.
basically both are very pure water with nothing in it, just the h2o no phosphates chlorine microorginisims nothing... this will elminate a potential food source for the diatoms and thus allow you to keep ferting
MoneyMitch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
dont take this as demeining but here are the definitions. DI water RO water click to be linked.

DI=de ionized water
RO= reverse osmosis water

linking the wikis to give you the pure facts with hopefully no confusion and so you can understand the diffrences.
basically both are very pure water with nothing in it, just the h2o no phosphates chlorine microorginisims nothing... this will elminate a potential food source for the diatoms and thus allow you to keep ferting
Okay, Yeah I know what that is I just havent seen short term used for it before. I can see what they want price wise for them here. I researched a bit myself and from what I read Diatoms are reddish brown or can they be green to?
Homer16 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
yea, they start out like a dusty type greenish brown and can form into dark green and spread liek fire if not kept in check. as far as the ro or di water i know my local krogers meijer and even walmart sells by the 3gallon for like 5$ after u buy the jug. if your only using liek a 50/50 mix that should last you a bit.
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
This algae is bright green and its not fuzzy. I looked up a few pics of the Diatoms and it does not look like that. Is there any fish or something that doesnt get to big that I could add into the tank to keep it under control? I dont mind cleaning it when I do a water change. I can check walmart for that water when I am there. Im in Canada so it will likely be a bit more expensive but thats fine
Homer16 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Do you by chance live in Canada? On another thread we're discussing regional differences between Quikcrete products, trying to find some sort of correlation.
jentralala is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
Do you by chance live in Canada? On another thread we're discussing regional differences between Quikcrete products, trying to find some sort of correlation.
Yeah I am in Canada (Niagara Region, Ontario). I paid $7.54 each 20kg bag of Quickrete Play sand at Lowes :)
Homer16 is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
This algae is bright green and its not fuzzy. I looked up a few pics of the Diatoms and it does not look like that. Is there any fish or something that doesnt get to big that I could add into the tank to keep it under control? I dont mind cleaning it when I do a water change. I can check walmart for that water when I am there. Im in Canada so it will likely be a bit more expensive but thats fine
now that makes me think green spot algae, does it easly come off when you rub it or does it take some effort or a scrubby pad to remove it? sorry pic looked like a cross between brown/green
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
now that makes me think green spot algae, does it easly come off when you rub it or does it take some effort or a scrubby pad to remove it? sorry pic looked like a cross between brown/green
No its definitely green for sure. It comes off if I run my finger over it. I just generally use a scrubby because its easier for me
Homer16 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Member
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Like the tanks :D
I would suggest planting the taller plants - like the Corkscrew Vallisneria and Red Ludwigia - at the back, so it makes a nice screen and the heater/filter doesn't show that well :D

540L/140G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 254L/67g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
aussieJJDude is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
Like the tanks :D
I would suggest planting the taller plants - like the Corkscrew Vallisneria and Red Ludwigia - at the back, so it makes a nice screen and the heater/filter doesn't show that well :D
The heater wont damage the plant if they touch?
Homer16 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A noob with some questions (new tank, planted, fish questions) thanks! ensartain Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 07-31-2012 05:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome