Question..Need Help ASAP!! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question..Need Help ASAP!!

Ok, had to move my 55g to my new apt today. Went to drain the water and move the sand, turns out it was black on the botton and smelt like sewage, so i had to get rid of the sand. Got new sand (black diamond) sand blasting sand. I cleaned it well, cleaned out the nasty tank, moved it to my new place, had the fish in a 5g bucket and with air. Got the tank all setup now, new sand water.... ammonia was .50, added some detox along with tap water cond, stress coat and zyme. Have 2 power HOB filters running (penguin 350) and (Top Fin 60) both with brand new filters. Been running for about 2hrs now, how much longer should i wait until i add the fish back??? How long can they live in the5g bucket?
jonny steele is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Member
 
La Reina's Avatar
 
How many fish? What kind?

Also, why did you put new filter media in your filters? You'll have to completely cycle your tank again.
La Reina is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Reina View Post
How many fish? What kind?

Also, why did you put new filter media in your filters? You'll have to completely cycle your tank again.
The person who was taking care of my tank wanst. When i pulled the filtets out, they were covered in green slime, bad!!! Plus all the carbon had been depleted.

Fish:

1 sucker
3 small cory
1 blood parrot
2 small chiclids
1 large shrimp
1 fiddler crab
jonny steele is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM
bummer they aren't gonna last a few days in there.

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Member
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Do you still have the original biowheels on the Penguin 350?

150 Gallon - Mostly American Cichlids
135 Gallon - Angelfish Community
75 Gallon - Odd couple (Polleni/Angelfish)
55 Gallon - African tank
20 Gallon Long - QT
10 Gallon - Empty
jeaninel is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
Do you still have the original biowheels on the Penguin 350?
Yes, and its running.
jonny steele is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Can you go buy some live plants to put in your tank? Do you have a Petsmart by you? The plants will do almost an instant cycle if you plant enough of them in the tank. Then you can add your fish back in right away. You will still need to keep an eye on the water parameters though. You also might need some root tabs for the plants, depending on the kind you get. Anyway, that is what I would recommend.
Inga is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Any or all of these will help:

- live plants
- as much filter media from the former tank, unwashed, as possible including the filter housing itself if unwashed.
- any decor unwashed but still wet from the former tank
- biological supplement like Tetra SafeStart or Seachem's Stability
- use Prime water conditioner if you have it or can get it, it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite
- in absence of Prime a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia (as well as chlorine, chloramine of course)

- monitor ammonia and nitrite, if they rise above .25 do a 50% water change.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM
zeolites and carbon will help too

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Can you go buy some live plants to put in your tank? Do you have a Petsmart by you? The plants will do almost an instant cycle if you plant enough of them in the tank. Then you can add your fish back in right away. You will still need to keep an eye on the water parameters though. You also might need some root tabs for the plants, depending on the kind you get. Anyway, that is what I would recommend.
I do have live plants, about 7 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Any or all of these will help:

- live plants
- as much filter media from the former tank, unwashed, as possible including the filter housing itself if unwashed.
- any decor unwashed but still wet from the former tank
- biological supplement like Tetra SafeStart or Seachem's Stability
- use Prime water conditioner if you have it or can get it, it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite
- in absence of Prime a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia (as well as chlorine, chloramine of course)

- monitor ammonia and nitrite, if they rise above .25 do a 50% water change.
im using api stress coat and zyme, also a water conditioner and ammonia detox.
jonny steele is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i need help asap please tankbud Cichlids 15 03-08-2008 07:10 PM
HELP ASAP! Urgent baby fish question! ckmclements Fish Breeding 4 08-17-2007 11:20 PM
Help please ASAP basicloser Tropical Fish Diseases 6 03-06-2007 04:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome