Question about neon tetra's Behavior ??
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Question about neon tetra's Behavior ??

Question about neon tetra's Behavior ??

This is a discussion on Question about neon tetra's Behavior ?? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Greetings: I recently became a member of this Site when I began to cycle my 30 gallon tank. Well, the start-up cycling is behind ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Glowlight Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Emerald Catfish
Emerald Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Question about neon tetra's Behavior ??
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
 
PESCATORI's Avatar
 
Question about neon tetra's Behavior ??


Greetings:

I recently became a member of this Site when I began to cycle my 30 gallon tank. Well, the start-up cycling is behind me and now we have some Neon Tetra's that have been in the tank for about 10 days. I have been observing them very carefully for changes in behavior... and, two days ago I watched one chasing another fish quite aggressively. It does not appear to be a playful nature. Now! today, I noticed that several of them are beginning to chase each other around the tank. Is this behavior norma? What might be the cause of this?

Ciao,

Don
PESCATORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
How many neons do you have?
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
 
PESCATORI's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwaters View Post
How many neons do you have?
There are 4 Neon's.

Don

PESCATORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
Neons are shoaling fish and need to be in groups of no less than 6. They get stessed out if there are less and may chase each other. If you have checked your water and everything is were it should be I would suggest adding at least two more but in a tank your size you could do a group of 10-12 and still add more fish just not all at once. They really look very pretty when they all swim together in a group.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
 
PESCATORI's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwaters View Post
Neons are shoaling fish and need to be in groups of no less than 6. They get stessed out if there are less and may chase each other. If you have checked your water and everything is were it should be I would suggest adding at least two more but in a tank your size you could do a group of 10-12 and still add more fish just not all at once. They really look very pretty when they all swim together in a group.
Greetings:

I was beginning to suspect this especially after reading several articles one being in book I have been reading lately. Your reply made it clear to me... these buggers need company, they are social animals not loaners. I had planned to go to my Aquarium Supply tomorrow and purchase a different variety to add to the tank, now I will pick up some more of the Tetras as well. Thanks for your reply and remarks. This hobby is not for those without patients and understanding.
PESCATORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
 
Curt's Avatar
 
I think Calm is right. I know a lot of fish are considered schooling or shoaling fish. However Neon's seem to like more company than most. Mine are strange sometimes they are shy sometimes they are playful it changes by the day.

Oh and Calm your signature.. I like the passion part however I think for me its also become a obsession lol
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
 
britnyjackson's Avatar
 
I just bought neons as well and I have 6, they are amazing to watch and I plan to get a couple more. No problems at all with aggression though. I'm sure adding a few more will help. Good luck!
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
 
PESCATORI's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
I think Calm is right. I know a lot of fish are considered schooling or shoaling fish. However Neon's seem to like more company than most. Mine are strange sometimes they are shy sometimes they are playful it changes by the day.

Oh and Calm your signature.. I like the passion part however I think for me its also become a obsession lol

I'm not certain if I understand your final comments... it may suggest a different topic perhaps something to do with my signature. You must fill me in on your secret.
PESCATORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
Yes it is an obsession and a passion. LOL
Pescator I am really glad you got more neons you will really enjoy them. I purchased 14 black neons to add to my 55 gallon today and they look awesome swimming around with my other neons.
Also wanted to add it does take a lot of patience but it will be very rewarding and relaxing in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
 
PESCATORI's Avatar
 
My reply 2 u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwaters View Post
Yes it is an obsession and a passion. LOL
Pescator I am really glad you got more neons you will really enjoy them. I purchased 14 black neons to add to my 55 gallon today and they look awesome swimming around with my other neons.
Also wanted to add it does take a lot of patience but it will be very rewarding and relaxing in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device


Greetings:

Today I went to the store and purchased (5) more Neon Tetras. As I was saying earlier, I had been observing nasty behavior, I had two that liked to play (Grab Ass) to the extent that one has a nip out of the top tail fin. Always a Bully in the crowd even if the crowd is only 3. When I released the 5... it was no more than 10 seconds and they were all in formation even the Bully. Thanks for the advice and support, I really appreciate it.
PESCATORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neon Tetra's aren't getting along Biemowo Characins 5 01-09-2011 07:45 PM
Neon Tetra's SubAtomicScope Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 09-29-2009 11:55 AM
Can I add a school of neon tetra's to this tank?? stephenmontero Characins 2 04-24-2008 11:12 AM
Help Needed with neon tetra's CB-Sunshine Tropical Fish Diseases 2 02-15-2008 08:50 PM
Red Eye Tetra mix well with Neon Tetra's and catfish ? jaspreetsl Characins 6 08-11-2007 10:01 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.