Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions

Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions

This is a discussion on Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi everyone, I'm rather new to all this. Decided it would be smarter to do my research before going out and buying a tank... ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dojo Loach
Dojo Loach
Clown Loach
Clown Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
 
Question Prospective owner...need help with some basic questions

Hi everyone, I'm rather new to all this. Decided it would be smarter to do my research before going out and buying a tank... I've been to multiple pet stores and wasn't satisfied with the answers I got there. So hopefully some of you will be able to help me

First, does anyone own a Starphire (low-iron glass) tank and believe it is worth the extra cost? Photography is a hobby of mine and I was hoping to take clear pictures through the tank once I have fish. I've checked out some pictures of them online but haven't actually seen one in person.

As for what kind of fish to get... I was told at Petco that these types all get along:

Bala Sharks
Angelfish
Swordfish
Dwarf Gourami
Neon Tetra
Dojo Loach

My husband and I were thinking of getting a 90 gallon tank (48x18x25) so the fish would have space. Yet, I'm not certain that all of these would really get along together. From the little I have read on here, angelfish are pretty aggressive, right? And the Balas would likely eat the Tetras eventually...right? The woman at the pet store insisted they'd be fine together but I wanted some feedback from those who actually own these fish. I think they're all beautiful but would hate to match them up together if they're not compatible.

I do plan on having real plants in the tank. Any suggestions on what kind of plants I should get?

As for pumps, heaters, water conditioner, etc. Any higher quality brands you would suggest I look into? I want to make sure I do this right

Thanks!
firetyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Welcome to the forum, happy that you have decided to join us. Lots of questions (good for you!) and I'll answer a few and let others chime it.
Water contioner: Prime
Heater: Marineland Stealth
Filter: will depend on the size of tank you end up geting. You'll have a choice between HOB, canister, etc.
Plants: depending on what type of lighting you're going to use (watts per gallon, light spectrum),what type of fertilizer regime you feel like maintaining...these all play a part as far as which plants you should select.

Bala Sharks- get much too large and require a school in order for them to be comfortable and thrive. A 90g isn't large enough for their eventual adult size.
Angelfish- they can be aggressive but they will work in a community tank depending on the number of angels you get, along with the tankmates you choose.
Swordfish- I have no experience with swordfish.
Dwarf Gourami- Slow moving fish that will be harassed by angels, angels can be a bit nippy.
Neon Tetra-a large school of neons is always nice but care must be used as far as tankmates as they make a nice snack for larger fish
Dojo Loach-is a temperate species so requires cooler water than the other fish listed above. Their are many other loaches that will work great in a community tank. Loaches are in the top five of the fish I like best. :)
Keep in mind these are only my opinions! Once again, welcome to fishforum!

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 09-30-2009 at 11:08 PM..
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
 
All I want to say is never listen to anything your told by a Petco employee. Or any other large chain store for that matter.

Go to a small local shop where you might get some sense talked to you.
willieturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Kym, swordfish is a typo. She meant swordtail. Swordtails work just fine in a community setup.

Firetyger, you can't go wrong with the wobbly fish with the cute tum tum called goldfish.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
 
bearwithfish's Avatar
 
Talking

I agree NEVER get "expert advice" from a company like petco, while they may be a good resource of slightly less expensive supplies the knowledge is lacking....

sword tails are great community fish and a really good breed to start out with as they are very hardy and while you are learning all the finer points of fish keeping this guys will be a lot of fun!!

i would also suggest Platties these are great live bearers that are beautiful!!
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Kym, swordfish is a typo. She meant swordtail. Swordtails work just fine in a community setup.

Firetyger, you can't go wrong with the wobbly fish with the cute tum tum called goldfish.
LOL. Lupes, I read it as swordtail and completely missed that the word swordfish was typed instead! And to think you called me observant over on another thread.

I have to agree with Willie as far as Petco's advice. It's best to ask your questions here. If I had relied on the big chain advice when I first got into the hobby I shudder to think how my tanks would have fared. I'm lucky as my little LFS is awesome and the guy working the freshwater department has been in the hobby for 20+ years. I haven't received one piece of bad advice from him, or our members here. I peppered this forum with a gazillion questions and thanks to everyone here my tanks were a success right out of the starting gate.

I wish someone would weigh in on the brand of tank you are considering. I know they aren't cheap, not to mention you need that first piece to get started on your new hobby.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
LOL. Lupes, I read it as swordtail and completely missed that the word swordfish was typed instead! And to think you called me observant over on another thread.

I have to agree with Willie as far as Petco's advice. It's best to ask your questions here. If I had relied on the big chain advice when I first got into the hobby I shudder to think how my tanks would have fared. I'm lucky as my little LFS is awesome and the guy working the freshwater department has been in the hobby for 20+ years. I haven't received one piece of bad advice from him, or our members here. I peppered this forum with a gazillion questions and thanks to everyone here my tanks were a success right out of the starting gate.

I wish someone would weigh in on the brand of tank you are considering. I know they aren't cheap, not to mention you need that first piece to get started on your new hobby.
Yeah...I feel silly. I did mean Swordtail. No idea why I typed Swordfish

I'm sure there must be a small LFS around here somewhere...unfortunately, the only ones I have come across thus far specialize in saltwater fish and told me they didn't really have any advice for me on freshwater fish. Though I think saltwater fish are beautiful, I don't think I'm quite ready for that.

Thanks for the help!
firetyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwithfish View Post
I agree NEVER get "expert advice" from a company like petco, while they may be a good resource of slightly less expensive supplies the knowledge is lacking....

sword tails are great community fish and a really good breed to start out with as they are very hardy and while you are learning all the finer points of fish keeping this guys will be a lot of fun!!

i would also suggest Platties these are great live bearers that are beautiful!!
I do think Swordtails are beautiful... I like them a lot. My husband likes the larger fish like the sharks. Since Balas get so big, would Swordtails get along with a smaller shark like a Rainbow or Red Tail? Trying to look for a compromise with him if I can I haven't seen Platties before... I will go look them up.

Thanks!
firetyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
 
bearwithfish's Avatar
 
i have pix on my profile page under bears baby check them out if you want. :)
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic questions about Betta which I do not know and you can help me~!!! Tempy Freshwater and Tropical Fish 4 10-29-2009 02:20 PM
planted tank and pygmy cories & basic questions SST Catfish 11 03-16-2008 09:40 AM
Few basic questions.... JouteiMike Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 13 11-14-2006 11:23 PM


Tags
aquarium, aquarium equipment, fish compatibility, plants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.