09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Freshyfish
Today I was planning on buying some new fish to fully stock up my 20G aquarium. It has been set up for about a month now, and everyone is happy. I decided to test the water to make sure that everything was fine before heading out to the fish store, but it turns out my NitrItes are VERY high. Way above 10 PPM. Everything else was in the "Ideal" range on the test strip.
I changed out the carbon filter, did a 40% water change, and I'm hoping that the levels will drop substantially so that I'm able to go out and buy the fish in a week or so.
Is there anything else that I can do to allow the NitrIte levels to drop quicker?
Also, I haven't lost any fish at all since the aquarium was started up. There are 5 Neon Tetras, 1 Golden Gourami, and 3 Platy's. So I assume that they just slowly became acclimated to the changing water parameters.
Did you really mean nitrite? Or is it actually nitrate?
If you really had a nitrite reading of 10ppm there would not be a single fish alive. Nitrite test kits (API's anyway) doesn't even go above 5.
Assuming you really meant nitrate, you have no problems. Nitrate at 10ppm is fine. But don't overload the system--a few fish will allow the bacteria to multiply sufficient to handle the increased ammonia and nitrite over a few days.