Prime's effect on the fish-in cycle - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Member
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
no it will keep it at the same pace, a good cycle of a week, even getting a feeder goldfish can quicken the process as they will put in the natural bacteria in the tank
jfengler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson View Post
I was wondering, do you think that using Prime might have adverse effect on cycling a tank?

I have about 6 fish in my 50 gallon right now that is almost cycled. The Nitrites have been spiking for the past 10 days or so, and I have been putting in some Prime simply to keep my fish alive! By it detoxifying the nitrites, is it not letting my nitrites turn into nitrates, completing the cycle?

Thanks for any input in advance.
With the number's of fish listed under your aquariums,(how many are left?) and the fact that the tank is not cycled yet,, along with possibly foods and waste in excess, You would benefit from daily 50 percent water change .
Prime, nor the water changes will slow down the cycle but both are only effective for a 12 to 24 hour period in tank's where biological filter is still developing.
Water changes with Prime are quickest way to reduce Nitrites and ammonia.
Would not add any more fish for at least the next month while bacteria is developing and would feed fishes a tiny amount once every other day until the tank has matured ,or (cycled).
You indictae Six Chinese algae eater's among the fish listed under your aquarium and these,,i would get rid of.
They aren't from China,are quite poor alage eaters as they mature,,and WILL become aggressive with each other and other fishes you have.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #13 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfengler View Post
no it will keep it at the same pace, a good cycle of a week, even getting a feeder goldfish can quicken the process as they will put in the natural bacteria in the tank
Not a good idea to add MORE fish to a tank that is already over stocked for cycling purposes.
Fishes don't add bacteria,,they add ammonia from waste produced, and as by -product of respiration.
It is the ammonia that feeds bacteria and OP has plenty without adding more fish to possible toxic condition's.
Feeder fish in general,, are quickest way I know to introduce parasites or pathogen's to otherwise healthy tanks.
These fishes are often kept horrid condition's in crowded tank's with many dead fishes or diseased fishes present.
Only takes one diseased fish to infect the whole tank of feeder's and then you bring home these fish and spread the disease to your tank.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #14 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Adamson's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
With the number's of fish listed under your aquariums,(how many are left?) and the fact that the tank is not cycled yet,, along with possibly foods and waste in excess, You would benefit from daily 50 percent water change .
Prime, nor the water changes will slow down the cycle but both are only effective for a 12 to 24 hour period in tank's where biological filter is still developing.
Water changes with Prime are quickest way to reduce Nitrites and ammonia.
Would not add any more fish for at least the next month while bacteria is developing and would feed fishes a tiny amount once every other day until the tank has matured ,or (cycled).
You indictae Six Chinese algae eater's among the fish listed under your aquarium and these,,i would get rid of.
They aren't from China,are quite poor alage eaters as they mature,,and WILL become aggressive with each other and other fishes you have.
That is old. I had one day about a week ago where I lost 4-5 fish, the Nitrites were up and killing.

Now I have 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Rhino Pleco, 1 BGK, and a few snails in the 50 gallon tank. It is very well planted, I never get readings for Ammonia (It always tests at 0ppm). I feed the fish every other day. The Nitrites read at 5 ppm, which is high. The Nitrites have been at 5 ppm for 10 days now, when will they come down to 0??
Adamson is offline  
post #15 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Member
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
to lower it you can try aquarium salt and a product called 'easy life' , it is completly non toxic and works very well for me, i also use this same method at the aquarium i work at
jfengler is offline  
post #16 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Adamson's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfengler View Post
to lower it you can try aquarium salt and a product called 'easy life' , it is completly non toxic and works very well for me, i also use this same method at the aquarium i work at
That is what you use to help cycle the aquarium?
Adamson is offline  
post #17 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Member
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
use it to lower nitrite and nitrate
jfengler is offline  
post #18 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson View Post
That is old. I had one day about a week ago where I lost 4-5 fish, the Nitrites were up and killing.

Now I have 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Rhino Pleco, 1 BGK, and a few snails in the 50 gallon tank. It is very well planted, I never get readings for Ammonia (It always tests at 0ppm). I feed the fish every other day. The Nitrites read at 5 ppm, which is high. The Nitrites have been at 5 ppm for 10 days now, when will they come down to 0??
Nitrites usually fall pretty quickly compared to ammonia levels and should be dropping any day.
Is good that your are feeding every other day if not overfeeding, but I might try feeding every two days and perform the once daily 40 to 50 percent water changes any time levels are much above zero.
Larger water changes using Prime will not slow cycle but WILL lower nitrites more than smaller water changes.
Do be sure and leave filter material alone, and do not clean the material under tapwater which often contains chloramines that kill all bacteria both good and bad.
clean filter material in old aquarium water you take out during water changes.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #19 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
Member
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Nitrites usually fall pretty quickly compared to ammonia levels and should be dropping any day.
Is good that your are feeding every other day if not overfeeding, but I might try feeding every two days and perform the once daily 40 to 50 percent water changes any time levels are much above zero.
Larger water changes using Prime will not slow cycle but WILL lower nitrites more than smaller water changes.
Do be sure and leave filter material alone, and do not clean the material under tapwater which often contains chloramines that kill all bacteria both good and bad.
clean filter material in old aquarium water you take out during water changes.
be carefull that large water changes will higher the risk of white spot disease
jfengler is offline  
post #20 of 55 Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Adamson's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Nitrites usually fall pretty quickly compared to ammonia levels and should be dropping any day.
Is good that your are feeding every other day if not overfeeding, but I might try feeding every two days and perform the once daily 40 to 50 percent water changes any time levels are much above zero.
Larger water changes using Prime will not slow cycle but WILL lower nitrites more than smaller water changes.
Do be sure and leave filter material alone, and do not clean the material under tapwater which often contains chloramines that kill all bacteria both good and bad.
clean filter material in old aquarium water you take out during water changes.
I am just worried I am not producing enough bacteria to continue to produce Ammonia to produce Nitrites to finish the cycle..

I have been doing a lot of 50% water changes and the following day I test the Nitrites and they are still at 5 (Bright, Dark Purple on the API Master kit)
Adamson is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how does black light effect my fish? brokenrules69 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-27-2011 03:07 PM
Does Smoking Effect Fish? Gav Freshwater and Tropical Fish 12 09-03-2009 11:49 AM
Does a diseased fish effect filter media? JohnnyD44 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 4 04-17-2009 10:38 AM
Does laterite effect the pH? It'sJames Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 05-26-2008 05:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome