Power Outage, help? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Power Outage, help?

I have a 50G tank and there has been a recent power outage in my area. I have been told that it may be out for a couple days. I dont have a backup generator or battery operated air pumps, how am I going to keep air in my tank? Thank you! quick replies would be appreciated :)
CatherineSekel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineSekel View Post
I have a 50G tank and there has been a recent power outage in my area. I have been told that it may be out for a couple days. I dont have a backup generator or battery operated air pumps, how am I going to keep air in my tank? Thank you! quick replies would be appreciated :)
I'd go to wallymart or any sporting goods store that sells fishing equipment and buy an inexpensive battery operated air pump used for minnow buckets.
Here is a case where an air operated sponge filter would come in handy as double duty

Oh - don't forget batteries!

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I'd go to wallymart or any sporting goods store that sells fishing equipment and buy an inexpensive battery operated air pump used for minnow buckets.
Here is a case where an air operated sponge filter would come in handy as double duty

Oh - don't forget batteries!
Thank you for the answer! Unfortunatly, i live about 5 hours away from a store that sells any fish equipment or any of the like (I live in a small town in the middle of no where). Is there anything else I could do?
CatherineSekel is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM
New Member
 
amberjade's Avatar
 
I wouldn't freak out too much if it's only for a day or two. Just do partial water changes until the power comes back on. I get power outages all the time! Gotta love living in the country.

Have you got live plants? Can you get hold of any?
Posted via Mobile Device
amberjade is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to amberjade For This Useful Post:
CatherineSekel (05-10-2011)
post #5 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineSekel View Post
Thank you for the answer! Unfortunatly, i live about 5 hours away from a store that sells any fish equipment or any of the like (I live in a small town in the middle of no where). Is there anything else I could do?
Amazon dot com ...
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-A790-Battery-Operated-Pump/dp/B0002563U4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305079347&sr=8-3

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberjade View Post
I wouldn't freak out too much if it's only for a day or two. Just do partial water changes until the power comes back on. I get power outages all the time! Gotta love living in the country.

Have you got live plants? Can you get hold of any?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks soo much, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for! Yes i have some live plants, but not as many as I would like!

One more question: How long would it approximately take for the water to lose enough oxygen to kill my fish? (My tank is 50 gallons) thank you!
CatherineSekel is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
I lost power about two weeks ago for 3 days. I didn't have time to do water changes during that time. I have a 55 gallon with 9 fish and lots of plants. My fish were fine during that time. As Soon as I got power and things calmed down I did a water change. All my fish made it I didn't lose any!
Boredomb is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
If you don't have a lot of plants I would probably do some water changes and I would think you will be just fine.
Boredomb is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Its not even O2 levels you need to worry about really, its how fast ammonia and stuff will build up with the filter off.... what kinda filter do you have?

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Its not even O2 levels you need to worry about really, its how fast ammonia and stuff will build up with the filter off.... what kinda filter do you have?
You know Mikaila I didn't even think of that part when I lost power. Hmmm that's a good point. I probably should tried and done a water change sooner then I did oops but I do have a question at this point why would it matter what kinda filter she has if the power is off?
Boredomb is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power outage! ajmckay Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 01-01-2009 09:08 AM
power outage miagrrl Tropical Fish Diseases 4 03-09-2008 02:33 PM
Power outage squintsmom Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 05-27-2007 07:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome