Possible restocking of a 75 gallon
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Possible restocking of a 75 gallon

Possible restocking of a 75 gallon

This is a discussion on Possible restocking of a 75 gallon within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I am thinking of redoing my 75 gallon into a more community friendly tank. It currently has 1 Juvinile (4.5-5.5inch) Green Severum, a Bolvian ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Zebra Loach
Zebra Loach
Odessa Barb
Odessa Barb
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Possible restocking of a 75 gallon
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
 
Philnominal's Avatar
 
Possible restocking of a 75 gallon

I am thinking of redoing my 75 gallon into a more community friendly tank. It currently has 1 Juvinile (4.5-5.5inch) Green Severum, a Bolvian Ram, 3 Panda Garra (were 4 but one disappeared shortly after getting them), a small Sailfin Pleco and 5 Silver Dollars. if i were to redo it, I would rehome everything listed with the exception of the ram and the panda garra. I would replant it, but a lot heavier then it was before. (had it lightly planted before the silver dollars realized hey they like this green stuff) would move the majority of fish from my 29 gallon sorority tank (neons/female bettas) and eventually add more to it to make the stocking list similar to this.

1-3x Bolvian Rams (if adding more would be a good idea i would try for females consider the one currently in there is a male)
4x (try for a 1/3 M/F ratio) Cockatoo Apiso (Open to suggestions for other dwarf cichlids)
6-8x Panda Garra
8x Female Betta's
8-10x Otoclinus affinis
8-10x Kuhli Loach (maybe more)
10-12 Neon Tetra
10-12 Black Neon Tetra
10-12 Rummynose Tetra
10-12 Emperor Tetra
10-12 Marble Hatchetfish

I am open to stocking suggestions and the tank is currently filtered with an AquaClear 110.
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
 
Philnominal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnominal View Post
10-12 Neon Tetra
10-12 Black Neon Tetra
10-12 Rummynose Tetra
10-12 Emperor Tetra
I realized just how many fish this would be in this small space, and though i plan on it being heavily planted will more then likely leave out on of the above groups.

Also would keeping multiple types of dwarf cichlids but instead trying to get males only work out better or would this stress them out?
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
 
Byron's Avatar
 
You asked me to comment, so here I am.

Picking up on a point from the other thread, I would not include Emperor Tetra due to their activity and boisterous nature. The other characins (tetra and hatchets) are fine.

The Panda Garra I do not well know, but I have read that smaller groups may be better, 4-5; it establishes a pecking order. I might caution about otos with these, only from the perspective of competing for the aufwuchs biofilms, essential to the Garra. The pleco carries similar questions. I am of the view that when one is housing such specific feeders, it is best to keep just one type.

The cichlids i covered in the other thread, but for the benefit of other readers here, will just summarize that one species per aquarium is best. Females when spawning can be rough to other cichlids especially, and they tend to get a bee in their bonnet for other fish sometimes that they perceive as a threat--thinking the Garra, loaches, catfish in general. These are the fish that almost always get the eggs or the young, as they are active at night (not sure about the Garra on this).

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
 
Philnominal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
You asked me to comment, so here I am.

Picking up on a point from the other thread, I would not include Emperor Tetra due to their activity and boisterous nature. The other characins (tetra and hatchets) are fine.

The Panda Garra I do not well know, but I have read that smaller groups may be better, 4-5; it establishes a pecking order. I might caution about otos with these, only from the perspective of competing for the aufwuchs biofilms, essential to the Garra. The pleco carries similar questions. I am of the view that when one is housing such specific feeders, it is best to keep just one type.

The cichlids i covered in the other thread, but for the benefit of other readers here, will just summarize that one species per aquarium is best. Females when spawning can be rough to other cichlids especially, and they tend to get a bee in their bonnet for other fish sometimes that they perceive as a threat--thinking the Garra, loaches, catfish in general. These are the fish that almost always get the eggs or the young, as they are active at night (not sure about the Garra on this).

Byron.
I may then just up the amount of Garra to around 5 and hold off on the otos. Would you suggest not getting the kuhli loaches then? If you were going to redo this tank, having a sense of what is being looked for throughout he prior stocking list, what would you do?
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnominal View Post
I may then just up the amount of Garra to around 5 and hold off on the otos. Would you suggest not getting the kuhli loaches then? If you were going to redo this tank, having a sense of what is being looked for throughout he prior stocking list, what would you do?
I'm not a fan of kuhli loaches, so anything I say on them will be biased and useless. And I would want to know the Garra better, but would consider perhaps some corys or botine loaches which I gather from my reading are usually not an issue with space as you have. One has to select loaches carefully, some can be nippers, and some eat Echinodorus plants.

I also like largish tanks full of shoaling fish rather than larger fish, so that's another bias. Aside from the Emperor, the mentioned characins are fine and in largish groups (the rummys and hatchets are better the more there are) would be lovely in a planted tank.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
restocking? lozza Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 11-12-2009 06:37 AM
Restocking my 55: Want ideas Clubber Freshwater and Tropical Fish 13 08-27-2009 12:49 PM
Restocking 10 gallon SolaceTiger Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 12-23-2008 10:01 AM
Restocking question - 30 gal. Jessica Freshwater and Tropical Fish 7 06-23-2008 03:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.