Play Sand - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Play Sand

Play Sand

This is a discussion on Play Sand within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by PRichs87 how do you all go about washing out your sand? I am considering putting some into my tank after I ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Severum
Severum
Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRichs87 View Post
how do you all go about washing out your sand? I am considering putting some into my tank after I move.
5 gal bucket,garden hose and repeat till the waters clear. i have play sand in both my 180g and my 55 i love the price of it 2.50 for 25lbs but you end up with 15lbs after washing it.
scalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRichs87 View Post
how do you all go about washing out your sand? I am considering putting some into my tank after I move.
Not sure if I do it the right way or not, but I just washed out my playsand for my 55g yesterday, and it seems to have settled pretty well.

I filled a 5g bucket about 1/3rd of the way with sand, filled it up with water about 2/3 of the way, really stirred the sand around like crazy with my hands,

Did that about 4 or 5 times

Then I started putting the hose on, and really spraying the sand and spinning the hose around to stir it all up, and then poured the water out of the bucket quickly, did that about a dozen or so times and the sand seems to be pretty good.
Castro235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
 
FishySuzy's Avatar
 
I can't remember who, but a while back, someone posted a tutorial about washing sand and putting it in.
FishySuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #24
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishySuzy View Post
I can't remember who, but a while back, someone posted a tutorial about washing sand and putting it in.
It was MoneyMitch:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...utorial-28436/
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
 
FishySuzy's Avatar
 
Mmm! Thanks a bunch Kymmie! I'll be using that this weekend and I'm sure Austin will appreciate it.
FishySuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
 
Austin's Avatar
 
Thanks for the guides. The sand I bought happens to be an ugly color and I really don't like it. Plus I don't know if I have the desire after all to wash out enough sand for my 44g tank...

Might just buy some aquarium substrate for a bit extra money. Dx Or search for some "white" playsand... Don't know if using play sand is worth the work.

And not sure if I can even plant my 44g after all *pokes thread* so idk.

thanks though everyone.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Thanks for the guides. The sand I bought happens to be an ugly color and I really don't like it. Plus I don't know if I have the desire after all to wash out enough sand for my 44g tank...

Might just buy some aquarium substrate for a bit extra money. Dx Or search for some "white" playsand... Don't know if using play sand is worth the work.

And not sure if I can even plant my 44g after all *pokes thread* so idk.

thanks though everyone.
I just grabbed one 50lb bag of playsand and it seems like enough for my 55g tank.



I've been avoiding cleaning the sand for nearly a month, but once I started it really isn't that bad at all.
Castro235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
 
FishySuzy's Avatar
 
I went to Home Depot today. In the building supplies section, they have a 50 pound bag for $2.87. Man, did I have to wash that sand! It looks really great in my 10 gallon though. I really should update it.
FishySuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishySuzy View Post
I went to Home Depot today. In the building supplies section, they have a 50 pound bag for $2.87. Man, did I have to wash that sand! It looks really great in my 10 gallon though. I really should update it.
Yeah, it takes alot more effort than just buying it and throwing it in the tank, but I think it's alot better than spending fifty bucks or something ridiculous to save a little bit of time.
Castro235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
 
FishySuzy's Avatar
 
HAH! I might as well have, that crap takes FOREVER.
FishySuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 28G Freshwater w/ Kitty Litter & Play Sand Tinthalas Tigris Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 04-26-2010 01:50 PM
Adding Play Sand Into Cycled Tank JKoral Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 10-06-2009 09:45 PM
play sand. willow Vivariums and Reptiles 42 06-02-2009 06:34 AM
Is Play sand good for fish tank use? bg7003 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 01-20-2007 02:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.