planted tank cycling - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
planted tank cycling

Hi Byron I believe that you said in the beginning of this thread ther is almost no or no tank cycling when you have a planted tank, I have been looking for thank cycling since I started up my tank 2 weeks ago and looking for an ammonia or nitrite spike that didn't show up until now. Do I still have to expect one, if not can I put more fishload in my tank the way it is now?
I loaded up a picture of my thank but couldn't find how to put the tank parameters in the there.
The parameter changes are following:
First water test 11/02/ last water test 11/12/2009

GH from 16 to 14
KH from 11 to 7
PH from 7.5 to 8
NH3/NH4 =0
NO2 from 0 to 0.3

Regards
Chris
pelon_mx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon_mx View Post
Hi Byron I believe that you said in the beginning of this thread ther is almost no or no tank cycling when you have a planted tank, I have been looking for thank cycling since I started up my tank 2 weeks ago and looking for an ammonia or nitrite spike that didn't show up until now. Do I still have to expect one, if not can I put more fishload in my tank the way it is now?
I loaded up a picture of my thank but couldn't find how to put the tank parameters in the there.
The parameter changes are following:
First water test 11/02/ last water test 11/12/2009

GH from 16 to 14
KH from 11 to 7
PH from 7.5 to 8
NH3/NH4 =0
NO2 from 0 to 0.3

Regards
Chris
I'll assume the tank is the 70g shown in the photo under your "Aquariums." [By the way, you can add specs there, further down on "parameters".]

You'd need more plants to qualify as "well planted" but what you have are swords and they should be sufficient for a few fish. I would not expect to see ammonia or nitrite above zero in this tank. NO2 is nitrite, so if you meant that (as opposed to nitrate NO3), then it appears to be increasing. You must have quite a good test kit to measure it down to .3, my API won't do that, it goes from zero to .5. I wouldn't add more fish if you are getting nitrite readings, especially with rising pH. Any idea what's causing that? Especially since hardness appears to be falling.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I'll assume the tank is the 70g shown in the photo under your "Aquariums." [By the way, you can add specs there, further down on "parameters".]

You'd need more plants to qualify as "well planted" but what you have are swords and they should be sufficient for a few fish. I would not expect to see ammonia or nitrite above zero in this tank. NO2 is nitrite, so if you meant that (as opposed to nitrate NO3), then it appears to be increasing. You must have quite a good test kit to measure it down to .3, my API won't do that, it goes from zero to .5. I wouldn't add more fish if you are getting nitrite readings, especially with rising pH. Any idea what's causing that? Especially since hardness appears to be falling.

Byron.
Nitrite (NO") reading should say <0.3 mg/l
Certainly I will put more plants in the tank, need to go to go to another LFS and find some different ones.
Also planning to install more light for the Amazone Swords, planning to install two aditional lamps (T8) of normal daylight (4100K)

Chris
pelon_mx is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Given your info, I would suggest it is OK to add a few more fish; and certainly plants at any time. However, the following issue should first be resolved.

There is still the issue of the hardness and pH. This may be from the gravel, if it is calcareous. Do you know what type of gravel it is? This is going to be a problem depending upon the fish you want, and perhaps also the plants.

Also, do you have the numbers for your tap water (without any conditioner), pH and hardness?

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I added yesterday to my fishtank
1 Bristlenose pleco
7 Neon Tetra (3 of them passed already )
1 Angelfish (got it for free)
3 Bunches of Elodea
2 Bunches of Hygrophila polysperma
2 Bunches of "Cola de zorro" ( Ceratophyllum Demersum)
pelon_mx is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Byron, I made a tapwater test with care and the results are the following

GH=16
KH=9
PH=8
pelon_mx is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon_mx View Post
Byron, I made a tapwater test with care and the results are the following

GH=16
KH=9
PH=8
Thanks. These numbers indicate that your tapwater is the reason the aquarium water tests as it does, so there are no extraneous issues. You will have to live within the tap water parameters. The KH will buffer the pH to avoid fluctuations, which means a stable pH which is good. I'll leave it at that unless you have further questions.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Thanks you so much Byron.
Chris
pelon_mx is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Cichlids 7 03-02-2009 02:49 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 02-23-2009 12:11 AM
first planted tank Busgod Freshwater Journals 4 08-16-2008 07:23 PM
planted tank Mike037 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 05-06-2008 04:18 AM
Cycling planted tank ttiger72 Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 01-23-2007 04:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome