Planted 10g Questions - filter/water movement - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted 10g Questions - filter/water movement

Okay - while I do have 4 other tanks going right now, this 10g has my attention at the moment. Maybe because its my smallest tank that I feel it needs the most attention.


Questions:

1. I only have a sponge filter with an airstone attached. Is this going to be enough filtration and water movement? Its an ATI hydrosponge model 1. Should I consider another air stone, or would this hurt the plants?

2. Substrate and Plants - Right now I have fine blasting sand, but am I going to need to swap this out for other substrate? Also since this is my main snail tank, I need something good with snails (hence the sponge filter).

I currenty have about 7 plants - and they seem fine but its only been 4 days. I plan on reading the plant section after I post this. But I don't really want anything so fancy that I'm going to need a CO2 canister and special light bulbs for a simple 10g (when I get around to my 55gs then I'm all for spending the money)


oh - current occupants -
7 neon tetras
2 blue mystery snails
2+ MTS
2 nerite snails.
PaperclipGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Member
 
bigehugedome's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl View Post
Okay - while I do have 4 other tanks going right now, this 10g has my attention at the moment. Maybe because its my smallest tank that I feel it needs the most attention.


Questions:

1. I only have a sponge filter with an airstone attached. Is this going to be enough filtration and water movement? Its an ATI hydrosponge model 1. Should I consider another air stone, or would this hurt the plants?

2. Substrate and Plants - Right now I have fine blasting sand, but am I going to need to swap this out for other substrate? Also since this is my main snail tank, I need something good with snails (hence the sponge filter).

I currenty have about 7 plants - and they seem fine but its only been 4 days. I plan on reading the plant section after I post this. But I don't really want anything so fancy that I'm going to need a CO2 canister and special light bulbs for a simple 10g (when I get around to my 55gs then I'm all for spending the money)


oh - current occupants -
7 neon tetras
2 blue mystery snails
2+ MTS
2 nerite snails.

Bryon has a great section on planted tanks in the plant section. That will answer most your questions. I just bought a sponge for my 10 gallon today. It is very cheap and effective. You will just have to keep up with your water changes since the snails may produce alot of waste. To allow your plants to thrive you dont need CO2 but you should have a light that has the right K rating. I use life glo bulbs rated at 6700k. It was less than $10 at my LFS. (that is if you have a fluorescent hood)
bigehugedome is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
1. I only have a sponge filter with an airstone attached. Is this going to be enough filtration and water movement? Its an ATI hydrosponge model 1. Should I consider another air stone, or would this hurt the plants?
A single sponge is more than adequate in a 10g. I have the Hydro in my 10g, love it. You do not want (or need) airstones or additional water movement.

Quote:
2. Substrate and Plants - Right now I have fine blasting sand, but am I going to need to swap this out for other substrate? Also since this is my main snail tank, I need something good with snails (hence the sponge filter).
Sand will work, if you like it (appearance) I would leave it.

Quote:
I currenty have about 7 plants - and they seem fine but its only been 4 days. I plan on reading the plant section after I post this. But I don't really want anything so fancy that I'm going to need a CO2 canister and special light bulbs for a simple 10g (when I get around to my 55gs then I'm all for spending the money)
"Natural" or low-tech planted tanks use nature rather than paraphernalia. You can grow the majority of aquarium plants without CO2 addition. Light has to be good, minimal but good. What sort of fixture do you have, fluorescent tube or incandescent (screw-in bulbs), and if the latter, 1 or 2 bulbs? I can suggest good lighting tubes/bulbs when I know this.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Member
 
bigehugedome's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehugedome View Post
Bryon has a great section on planted tanks in the plant section. That will answer most your questions. I just bought a sponge for my 10 gallon today. It is very cheap and effective. You will just have to keep up with your water changes since the snails may produce alot of waste. To allow your plants to thrive you dont need CO2 but you should have a light that has the right K rating. I use life glo bulbs rated at 6700k. It was less than $10 at my LFS. (that is if you have a fluorescent hood)
Ahh, just noticed I spelled your name wrong. Im so sorry Byron
bigehugedome is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehugedome View Post
Ahh, just noticed I spelled your name wrong. Im so sorry Byron
As for you...


Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
I have a two screw-in fluorescent bulbs at 10w 6500k each.

In reading the plant section and other posts on here - I realized my plant selection isn't great. (wisteria, amazon swords, and java fern). So next month, I'm going to hit the petco in Boise that has a better selection.

I'm thinking to add more sand.... then dwarf anubus, baby tears, and something else small. Maybe some moss on driftwood or coconut shells.... I do have two moss balls in there as well.
PaperclipGirl is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl View Post
I have a two screw-in fluorescent bulbs at 10w 6500k each.

In reading the plant section and other posts on here - I realized my plant selection isn't great. (wisteria, amazon swords, and java fern). So next month, I'm going to hit the petco in Boise that has a better selection.

I'm thinking to add more sand.... then dwarf anubus, baby tears, and something else small. Maybe some moss on driftwood or coconut shells.... I do have two moss balls in there as well.
Your bulbs are fine. I use GE "Daylight" 6500K Compact Fluorescent bulbs, 2 10w over my 10g and 20g and the plant growth is good.

Baby tears is questionable, some have success some don't without very high light and CO2 and more fertilization. But the other plants will be fine.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
okay - we have the same light bulbs... I'll check out the store tomorrow or Sunday and see what they have as far as plants... and thanks everyone - esp Byron for your planting guides.
PaperclipGirl is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hi guy do plants need water movement or fish to be with them? leogtr Beginner Planted Aquarium 4 07-11-2011 03:30 PM
Is it ok to have no filter (in a planted tank!)? Some questions... Austin Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 03-13-2010 03:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome