01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
| || |
Although lighting may have something to do with your problem, I feel that is caused by excess nutrients in the water. An over abundance of phosphates and other nutrients, usually caused by over feeding, are the culprits, in my opinion. I have a couple of tanks that the lights remain on for over 14-16 hours a day and I have no algae problems what-so-ever.
There are a couple of ways to combat the problem. One is to cut back on feeding and increase the frequency of water changes, 25% once a week(more if necessary). The other, is to get plants that will out compete the algae for nutrients. I would use elodea. It is inexpensive and will soon put the algae in its place. It is a floating plant, normally, and would add a little security for your fish. Thirdly, and least suggested, would be to use an algaecide. I would only use this method as a last resort.