Opinion on a test kit.
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Opinion on a test kit.

Opinion on a test kit.

This is a discussion on Opinion on a test kit. within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi all, I am looking to get a test kit for my little 5 gallon aquarium. I have seen the Master test kit from ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Mosquito Rasbora
Mosquito Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Opinion on a test kit.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
 
Opinion on a test kit.

Hi all,

I am looking to get a test kit for my little 5 gallon aquarium. I have seen the Master test kit from Aquarium Pharmacuticals that uses the vials and liquid test solutions and I have seen the test kits that have the dipping strips.

Are either one of these ok?

Not looking to spend too much at all.

Thanks
tomcatguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
 
jpbotha's Avatar
 
A proper test kit will only help you. Once things start to go wrong in your tank you will be glad that you have spend that money on a good test kit.

The 5 in 1 strips that you buy is a waste of money in my opinion. It never gives a true reading of what is going on in your tank. A that just causes more damage as you will be treating the wrong symptoms. I speak out of experience. When i started this hobby, i also bought the strips cause i didnt know better. I lost a lot of fish before i realised that i need a proper test kit.

API Master test kit has never let me down. Bit expensive but definetly value for money in the long run.
jpbotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbotha View Post
A proper test kit will only help you. Once things start to go wrong in your tank you will be glad that you have spend that money on a good test kit.

The 5 in 1 strips that you buy is a waste of money in my opinion. It never gives a true reading of what is going on in your tank. A that just causes more damage as you will be treating the wrong symptoms. I speak out of experience. When i started this hobby, i also bought the strips cause i didnt know better. I lost a lot of fish before i realised that i need a proper test kit.

API Master test kit has never let me down. Bit expensive but definetly value for money in the long run.
Agree 100%. I consider the API Master Test kit a very valuable tool when it comes to keeping fish. You can purchase one a whole heck of alot cheaper than you can retail.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Agree 100%. I consider the API Master Test kit a very valuable tool when it comes to keeping fish. You can purchase one a whole heck of alot cheaper than you can retail.
This is very true. I am going to go with the master test kit. I can get one off ebay for like $24.00 as opposed to one at Petco for $36

Thanks for all the help you guys.
tomcatguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatguy74 View Post
This is very true. I am going to go with the master test kit. I can get one off ebay for like $24.00 as opposed to one at Petco for $36

Thanks for all the help you guys.
You'll be happy you did. $24 is a great bargain!!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
 
API Master Test Kit is on the way. Got it on ebay for $25.45 shipped!!!

Thanks again!!
tomcatguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
zof
 
zof's Avatar
 
Since you buying something off ebay and not knowing how/when the selling obtained the kits, when it comes in check your lot numbers on the bottles and make sure the kit isn't older than 3 years, I'm pretty sure these kits have about a shelf life of about 3 years or maybe a little longer.

Lot number example: LOT 83A1209

83A - actual number
12 - month (my case December)
09 - year

btw that same kit is on sale right now at Dr.'s for $19.19 (of course its still $8 flat shipping but who ever just buys 1 thing at Dr.'s?) sorry for sounding like an advertisement now.
zof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
 
I wish I would have known this before I bought it. I just sent the seller a message but there is a phone number so I am going to try that right now. I sure hope this thing is going to be ok. Its a pain to run to Petco for tests all the time.
The ebay store I got this test kit from is Monster Pets. They have 100% rating for 27,889 items. So hopefully they will be ok. Thanks for the info zof!
tomcatguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
 
Ok, I just got off the phone with Monster Pets and he read the lot numbers off all the bottles in the kits. The lot numbers he has all end in 0410 to 0610 or something like that. He says that he orders them pretty regularly so they are always fresh. Either way they all are made in 2010 so I am good. Thanks for all your help guys.

Robert
tomcatguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
zof
 
zof's Avatar
 
Good stuff sounds like one of those bulk ebay guys.
zof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like an opinion from anyone and everyone. Kelso Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 12-27-2009 10:02 AM
INTERPET EASY TEST MASTER LIQUID TEST KIT help andylyon87 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 05-07-2007 08:28 PM
Test Kit: Part II: What Test Kit Do You Use? jones57742 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 12-28-2006 05:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.