Nitrates 80 ppm - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM
So if you (anybody) from Canada orders from Amazon you pay twice as much...or were you referring to the off the shelf price at your LFS?

I appreciate the remark about the color differences as there's a fine line between many of them.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
The master kit is closer to $40 here, but it's not the money at all, lol. We spend so much on this crap, what's another $40. But I trust her interpretation of the results over my own. The colors all look the same to me.

We're in there once or twice a week. She checks all 5 of my tanks (used to be 4) every Friday, usually. Last week we went Thursday. She knows which container is which tank, and which fish are in each. This week I had them test the Silver Dollar tank and the 220 on Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday, because of the problem with the nitrates and the other tank is cycling.
Is the LFS using test strips? If so, no matter who tests it's inaccurate to the point of being useless.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
That's local, but amazon.com doesn't ship most things to Canada, we have to use Amazon.ca, which doesn't have quite as good deals, and usually no free shipping. Online ordering in Canada sucks compared to the US. I do use Pets and Ponds, which is in Canada and cheaper than local, but shipping is only free when you but $200 or more. Shipping usually negates the savings.(If we got from amazon.com we would pay twice as much, as we would have to pay shipping to Canada and duty, plus our 13% sales tax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
So if you (anybody) from Canada orders from Amazon you pay twice as much...or were you referring to the off the shelf price at your LFS?

I appreciate the remark about the color differences as there's a fine line between many of them.


Canadian Fish is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Is the LFS using test strips? If so, no matter who tests it's inaccurate to the point of being useless.
Nope, they use the liquid and the test tubes.


Canadian Fish is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
Nope, they use the liquid and the test tubes.
Cool then. I wanted to make sure as around here they use strips.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
I think Petsmart uses test strips here, but Big Als uses the real tests. They're actually both in the same shopping area, but we only go to Big Al's at it is a fish store as opposed to an every pet store.

When they do my 5 tanks we're there for ages because the tubes have to sit so long, and they only use enough tubes to do two tanks at a time. Which leads to wandering around and buying stuff. My 4 year old loves it though.

They write down the results for me every week too.


Canadian Fish is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
That's local, but amazon.com doesn't ship most things to Canada, we have to use Amazon.ca, which doesn't have quite as good deals, and usually no free shipping. Online ordering in Canada sucks compared to the US. I do use Pets and Ponds, which is in Canada and cheaper than local, but shipping is only free when you but $200 or more. Shipping usually negates the savings.(If we got from amazon.com we would pay twice as much, as we would have to pay shipping to Canada and duty, plus our 13% sales tax)
I also use Pets&Ponds. I order in bulk, as I buy my conditioner, Flourish, Equilibrium from them in the largest available sizes, so the $9 shipping still means I have saved anywhere from $40 up to $90 across the board. Flourish for intance is $30 for the 2L jug from P&P but I cannot get it for less than $50 in stores, so even on its own with the shipping I am still saving money. But ordering several items saves even more.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
That's local, but amazon.com doesn't ship most things to Canada, we have to use Amazon.ca, which doesn't have quite as good deals, and usually no free shipping. Online ordering in Canada sucks compared to the US. I do use Pets and Ponds, which is in Canada and cheaper than local, but shipping is only free when you but $200 or more. Shipping usually negates the savings.(If we got from amazon.com we would pay twice as much, as we would have to pay shipping to Canada and duty, plus our 13% sales tax)
Well then...I'd like to get any medicine from Canada (can't, but I'd like to), but my fish supplies from Amazon!

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
LOL. Yeah, can't beat our health care.

Byron, I bought the filters, heaters, airpump, airstones, deocrations and vacuum from Pets and Ponds and saved $200 vs if I had bought here locally. Which actually meant getting my tank set up two weeks earlier.

Soon I will buy power heads, second filters for my 55s, and probably a master test kit and food, which puts me just over $200 for the free shipping and saves me $60 vs Big Als.

I love that place. I found out about them here.


Canadian Fish is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
LOL. Yeah, can't beat our health care.

Byron, I bought the filters, heaters, airpump, airstones, deocrations and vacuum from Pets and Ponds and saved $200 vs if I had bought here locally. Which actually meant getting my tank set up two weeks earlier.

Soon I will buy power heads, second filters for my 55s, and probably a master test kit and food, which puts me just over $200 for the free shipping and saves me $60 vs Big Als.

I love that place. I found out about them here.
Yes, Big Al's has no shipping charge if over $40 (or whatever it is), but their prices are usually just a tad higher than P&P. I actually worked it out on one order to see.

I believe in supporting local fish stores, but I also have the reality of living on a fixed income and I cannot afford to spend several hundred dollars a year more than necessary. I have to be realistic.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nitrAtes at 20 ppm KendraMc Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 09-16-2011 02:17 PM
No nitrates? fishmomma Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 12-24-2009 09:23 AM
nitrates ghosty Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 03-25-2009 06:58 PM
nitrates soada101 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 08-08-2008 07:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome